Indulge in a culinary adventure with this homemade version of the Burger King Original Chicken Sandwich. Renowned for its delicious simplicity and iconic status in the fast-food world, this sandwich features a perfectly breaded and fried chicken patty, nestled between soft buns and complemented by fresh lettuce and a rich, tangy sauce.
This recipe elevates the classic by infusing it with high-quality ingredients and a touch of home-cooked care, offering a satisfying crunch, tender chicken, and a harmony of flavors that promise to bring your taste buds to life. Whether you’re a fan of the original or looking to recreate a fast-food favorite with a gourmet twist, this recipe is a delightful venture into the world of homemade comfort food.
How To Make a BK Original Chicken Sandwich
For the Burger King Original Chicken Sandwich recipe, the time allocations are as follows:
- Preparation Time: Approximately 30 minutes. This includes the time to mix and form the chicken patties, set up the breading station, and prepare the sauce.
- Cooking Time: About 6 minutes per batch for frying the chicken patties, plus a few minutes for toasting the buns. If you fry the patties in two batches, the total frying time would be around 12 minutes.
- Total Time: Considering both preparation and cooking, the total time to make this sandwich is roughly around 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- All-Purpose Flour: Provides structure and chewiness to the homemade sandwich buns.
- Fine Sea Salt: Enhances flavor, strengthening the gluten network in the dough.
- Whole Milk: Adds tenderness and rich flavor to the buns due to its fat content.
- Instant Yeast: A leavening agent that helps the dough to rise and become fluffy.
- Granulated Sugar: Feeds the yeast for fermentation and adds a slight sweetness to the buns.
- Eggs: Contribute to the richness and color of the buns, and help bind the dough.
- Unsalted Butter: Adds flavor and tenderness to the bread.
- Egg Wash: Gives the buns a shiny, golden finish when baked.
- Untoasted Sesame Seeds: Provide a nutty flavor and decorative topping for the buns
- Ground Chicken Breast: Serves as the primary protein for the sandwich patty.
- Pork Fatback: Adds juiciness and flavor to the chicken patty.
- Kosher Salt, Garlic Powder, Nutritional Yeast, Fresh Ground Black Pepper, Onion Powder: These seasonings are mixed into the ground chicken to enhance flavor and savoriness.
- All-Purpose Flour and Panko Breadcrumbs: Used for breading the chicken patties, giving them a crisp exterior when fried.
- Eggs: Help the flour and breadcrumbs adhere to the chicken patties during breading.
- Vegetable Oil: Used for frying, provides the crisp, golden texture of the chicken patties
Sauce and Toppings:
- Egg Yolks, Dijon Mustard, Lemon Juice, Sugar, Grated Garlic, White Pepper, Creme Fraiche, Lemon Zest: These ingredients are combined to create a flavorful sauce that complements the chicken and bread.
- Butter Lettuce: Adds a fresh, crisp texture and a slight sweetness to the sandwich
These ingredients come together to create a homemade rendition of the iconic fast-food sandwich, aiming to improve upon the flavor and quality with fresh, whole ingredients and careful preparation.
- Mix 1lb of ground chicken breast with 1/4lb of ground pork fatback in a medium-sized bowl. Knead for 1 minute.
- Add 2 teaspoons each of kosher salt, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast, 3/4 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder to the meat mixture and combine well.
- Form the mixture into four even patties and place them on a baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 15 minutes to firm up.
- Set up a breading station with three separate bowls: one with 1.5 cups of all-purpose flour, one with 2 beaten eggs mixed with 1.5 tablespoons of water, and one with 1.5 cups of panko breadcrumbs.
- Heat a generous amount of vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed pot to 350°F.
- Coat each patty first in flour, then egg mixture, and finally panko, ensuring they are completely covered.
- Fry the patties for 4-6 minutes or until they are golden brown and reach an internal temperature of 165°F. Drain on a wire rack over a baking sheet and season with salt while hot.
Sauce and Toppings:
- In a bowl, combine 2 egg yolks, 1.5 tablespoons of Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, 2 cloves of grated garlic, and a pinch of white pepper.
- While whisking continuously, slowly drizzle in 1 cup of vegetable oil until the mixture emulsifies into a thick sauce.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of crème fraîche and the zest from 1 finely chopped lemon into the sauce, seasoning with salt to taste.
- Toast the store-bought buns with butter until golden and warm.
- Spread a generous amount of the homemade sauce on both cut sides of each bun.
- Place a chicken patty on the bottom half of the bun, add a layer of butter lettuce, and then top with the other half of the bun.
Enjoy your homemade Burger King Original Chicken Sandwich with the convenience of store-bought buns and the added touch of a homemade sauce!
Tips and Tricks
Selecting Chicken: Use fresh, high-quality ground chicken for the best flavor and texture. If you prefer, you can also grind chicken breast at home.
Balancing Fat Content: The addition of pork fatback is crucial for juiciness and flavor. If you’re unable to find pork fatback, consider using another fatty cut of pork or even bacon.
Seasoning Adjustments: Feel free to adjust the seasonings in the chicken mixture according to your taste. More or less garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper can be used to suit your flavor preferences.
Uniform Patties: Shape your chicken patties evenly to ensure consistent cooking. Patties that are too thick might not cook thoroughly, while too-thin patties can dry out.
Breading Technique: Ensure each chicken patty is well-coated in the flour, egg, and breadcrumb mixture for a crisp, golden crust. Shake off any excess flour or egg to prevent clumping.
Oil Temperature for Frying: Maintain the oil temperature around 350°F for optimal frying. If the oil is too hot, the outside will burn before the inside cooks; if it’s too cool, the breading will absorb too much oil and become soggy.
Cooking in Batches: Don’t overcrowd the pan when frying. Cook in batches if necessary to ensure each patty is evenly cooked and crispy.
Draining Fried Patties: Let the fried chicken patties rest on a wire rack rather than paper towels. This helps to keep the bottom from becoming soggy.
Sauce Customization: Adjust the homemade sauce to your liking. You can add more lemon juice for tartness, more sugar for sweetness, or even a bit of hot sauce for a spicy kick.
Toasting Buns: Don’t skip toasting the buns; it adds an extra layer of texture and flavor. Buttering the buns before toasting gives them a nice golden color and rich flavor.
Assembly: Assemble the sandwiches right before serving to ensure the chicken remains crispy and the buns don’t get soggy from the sauce.
Following these tips and tricks will help you recreate a delicious and satisfying homemade version of the Burger King Original Chicken Sandwich.
See Also: Burger King Chicken Nuggets
Difference between Burger King Original Chicken Sandwich and a Chicken Royale
The Burger King Original Chicken Sandwich, commonly found in North America, and the Chicken Royale, popular in Europe and other international locations, are similar yet tailored to regional tastes. While both feature a crispy chicken patty on a sub-style bun, the Chicken Royale might have slight variations in size, ingredients, or additional toppings like cheese. The naming and minor recipe differences are likely marketing strategies to appeal to different markets, but fundamentally, both sandwiches share a core concept and are similar in taste and presentation.
See Also: Burger King Onion Rings Recipe
What is on the original chicken sandwich from Burger King?
The Burger King Original Chicken Sandwich consists of a long, breaded chicken patty, deep-fried for a crispy exterior and tender inside. It’s served on a soft hoagie-style bun with a spread of mayonnaise and a layer of crisp lettuce. This simple combination of ingredients offers a classic fast-food sandwich, known for its satisfying blend of flavors and textures.
Other BK Recipes
- Cooks in 21 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Making Burger King French Toast Sticks is much easier than you might have imagined. We can recreate this classic copycat recipe in under 20 minutes from start to finish.
- Cooks in 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
There are many variants of the Burger King Whooper. The copycat recipe here is for the classic frame-grill flavor.
- Cooks in 150 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Savor the homemade version of Burger King’s Hershey’s® Sundae Pie, a perfect blend of crunchy crust and creamy chocolate filling for an irresistible treat.
Recreating the Burger King Original Chicken Sandwich at home is a rewarding experience that pays homage to a fast-food classic while elevating it with fresh, quality ingredients. This sandwich, with its juicy chicken, crispy coating, and flavorsome sauce, not only satisfies cravings but also introduces the joy of homemade cooking into your fast-food favorites.
The perfect combination of crunch, flavor, and nostalgia, this homemade version offers a comforting and delicious meal that’s sure to be a hit with family and friends. So, the next time you yearn for a fast-food treat, remember that this recipe is a great way to bring a beloved classic to your own kitchen table.
See Also: Burger King Hershey Pie