There’s something irresistibly indulgent about sinking your teeth into a slice of Burger King’s Hershey’s Sundae Pie. Its rich, creamy filling, crunchy chocolate crust, and lavish fudge drizzle had me hooked from the first bite. But why wait for a trip to Burger King to relish this decadent dessert? This craving led me on a culinary quest to recreate this beloved treat right in my own kitchen.
After numerous trials and a dash of creativity, I’ve finally mastered a copycat version that rivals the original in every spoonful. Now, I’m thrilled to share with you my perfected recipe, a delightful blend of chocolatey layers and textures that you can enjoy anytime, right at home. Get ready to indulge in a homemade dessert that’s not just a treat for the taste buds, but a true labor of love.
What Is Hershey’s Sundae Pie?
Hershey’s Sundae Pie is a popular dessert item offered by Burger King, known for its rich and indulgent flavor profile. It consists of a crumbly chocolate crust, layered with a creamy filling that typically combines the flavors of chocolate mousse and vanilla. The pie is then topped with whipped cream and garnished with chocolate shavings or chips, adding to its decadent appeal.
This dessert is characterized by its smooth, creamy texture and the harmonious blend of chocolate and vanilla flavors. Served cold, the Hershey’s Sundae Pie is a favorite among those who enjoy a sweet, chocolatey treat.
How To Make a Copycat Burger King Hershey’s Pie
Drawing from my extensive experience in recreating beloved desserts, this guide offers a meticulously tested and perfected approach to making a Copycat Burger King Hershey’s Pie, ensuring a deliciously authentic replication of this classic treat.
- Chocolate Cookie Crumbs (for the crust): Forms the base of the pie, offering a crunchy texture that contrasts with the creamy filling.
- Unsalted Butter, Melted (for the crust): Binds the cookie crumbs together to form a firm crust.
- Granulated Sugar (for the crust): Adds a touch of sweetness to the crust, enhancing the chocolate flavor.
- Cream Cheese, Softened (for the filling): Provides a rich, creamy base for the chocolate filling.
- Confectioners’ Sugar (for the filling): Sweetens the cream cheese mixture and contributes to a smooth texture.
- Cocoa Powder (for the filling): Gives the filling a deep chocolate flavor, reminiscent of the Hershey’s® chocolate.
- Whipped Topping (for the filling): Adds lightness and fluffiness to the filling, creating a mousse-like texture.
- Chocolate Chips (for garnish): Adds a chocolatey crunch and visual appeal, similar to the original pie.
- Chocolate Syrup or Fudge Sauce (for garnish): Drizzled over the top for extra richness and to mimic the classic Hershey’s® Sundae Pie look.
- Prepare Crust: Press chocolate wafer crumbs mixed with melted butter into a pie pan. Chill in the fridge.
- Make Cream Cheese Layer: Beat softened cream cheese with powdered sugar, Cool Whip, and vanilla extract. Spread over the crust and chill.
- Prepare Chocolate Layer: Mix instant chocolate pudding with less milk than called for on the box for a thicker consistency. Spread over the cream cheese layer.
- Top and Garnish: Cover with Cool Whip. Sprinkle with chocolate chips or chocolate shavings.
- Chill: Refrigerate the pie for at least 2 hours to set.
- Serve: Slice and enjoy your homemade Hershey’s Sundae Pie.
Tips and Tricks
Perfecting the Crust: For a firmer crust, make sure to press the cookie crumb mixture firmly into the pie pan. A flat-bottomed glass can help achieve an even layer.
Cream Cheese Consistency: Ensure the cream cheese is at room temperature before mixing. This helps to avoid lumps and achieves a smoother filling.
Sifting Dry Ingredients: Sift the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder to prevent clumps in the filling, resulting in a silkier texture.
Gentle Folding: When incorporating the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture, use a folding motion rather than stirring. This keeps the filling light and fluffy.
Chilling Time: Don’t rush the chilling process. The pie needs to be adequately chilled to set properly, making it easier to slice.
Customizing Chocolate Toppings: Feel free to adjust the amount of chocolate chips and syrup to suit your taste. You can also use different types of chocolate for variety.
Serving Tip: Dip your knife in hot water before slicing the pie. This makes cutting through the chilled pie easier and gives you clean slices.
Experiment with Crusts: While chocolate cookie crumbs are traditional, feel free to experiment with other cookie types for different crust flavors.
Make It Ahead: This pie is a great make-ahead dessert. Prepare it a day in advance for stress-free entertaining.
How to Store
After enjoying your delicious creation, any leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator. Cover the pie with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container to keep it fresh. In the fridge, the pie will stay good for up to 5 days. For longer storage, you can freeze the pie.
How to Freeze
To freeze, first slice the pie and then wrap each piece individually in plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil. Place the wrapped slices in a freezer-safe bag and store them in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy a slice, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight.
Creating this copycat Burger King Hershey Pie has been a delightful blend of nostalgia and culinary creativity. Each bite of this homemade treat brings the joy of a beloved fast-food favorite right to your table. Perfect for sharing or indulging solo, this recipe proves that the most cherished dessert experiences can be recreated with your own hands. Enjoy the satisfaction of baking and the sweet reward of your delicious creation!