We simply love Starbucks Peppermint Hot Chocolate. We’d drink it every day if we could. But that said, it would be bound to get a little expensive. However, we’ve come up with a great way of saving money. We make peppermint hot chocolate at home, and it is just as good as the Authentic Starbucks version. We will show your our secret Starbucks recipe, so you too will be able to make it yourself. Keep a lookout for our tips and tricks to get a perfect result every time.
How To Make Starbucks Peppermint Hot Chocolate
The key to this recipe is in the syrup. It might take just a little time to prepare, but once you have done so, you’ll be able to whip up a Starbucks peppermint hot chocolate in next to no time.
If you’ve ever had a Starbucks peppermint hot chocolate, you’ll know that it is really rich and delicious. There’s a good reason for this. They use real chocolate, and we do the same. No pre-powdered drinks mixes here, thank you very much.
As long as you have a pan, a spoon, and a mug, you’ll have everything you need to make our Starbucks Peppermint hot chocolate recipe.
We begin by making our syrup. Once we’ve created a batch, it is then simply a case of heating some milk in a pan and combining the various ingredients before finishing off our hot and steamy beverage with a small (ok large) dollop of whipped cream some chocolate shavings. We love it when the cold whipped cream starts to melt into the drink.
Check out our tips and tricks below.
Tips and Tricks
- As we’ve said, Starbucks uses real chocolate in their recipe, and we do the same. We prefer to use chocolate chips. They tend to melt quicker as they have a bigger surface area than a bar of chocolate. That said, if you don’t have chocolate chips, you can use regular chocolate too.
- If you are using regular chocolate, we find the quickest (and cleanest) way to break it up is to store it in the refrigerator and give it a good whack on the counter to break it into tiny shards.
- You can add a bit of variety to this recipe by using different types of chocolate. You can use dark chocolate, light chocolate, or for a real indulgent treat, why not try adding a bar of white chocolate?
- If you don’t have whipped cream, don’t panic. It is entirely optional. The drink will taste pretty similar without it, and it might be a little bit lower in calories too!
- We love a drink that tastes great, but we want it to look good too. You can garnish the top using plain old sprinkles if you prefer. For a really classy look, we like to reserve just a little chocolate and then grate it over the top just before serving.
- We appreciate that not everybody wants to drink dairy. It’s ok, we get it. If you want to use a dairy alternative in this recipe, go right ahead. We have tried it with soy milk, almond milk, and even coconut milk. It will taste pretty similar regardless of which alternative you use.
- When heating the milk, you have to be really careful not to use too high heat. Milk boils at a much lower temperature than water. If you ‘overcook’ the milk, you may find that it will stick to the bottom of your pan, brown, and then burn. Even worse is if this lump of burned milk makes its way into your drink. Yuck!
- You’ll be able to see when the milk is up to temperature. Just look for tiny little bubbles rising to the surface of your pan. It kind of looks like the milk is ‘fizzing’. When it reaches this stage, it is up to temperature.
- If you are stuck for time or lack the ingredients, you can use shop-bought peppermint syrup. We find it much more rewarding to make our own, and we think it tastes better. Shop-bought peppermint syrup won’t drastically alter the recipe. However, if you have some, go right on ahead and use it.
What does the peppermint hot chocolate taste like at Starbucks?
The Starbucks Peppermint Hot Chocolate is a harmonious blend of steamed milk, luxurious dark chocolate, and invigorating peppermint. The delightfully balanced flavors create a creamy, sweet and slightly bitter experience, topped off with whipped cream and chocolate curls. It’s a visually appealing, festive winter treat perfect for chocolate lovers seeking a refreshing twist.
Is the peppermint hot chocolate at Starbucks vegan?
Unfortunately, the Peppermint Hot Chocolate at Starbucks is not vegan. The chocolate and vanilla syrup contain dairy, and whipped cream topping is also not vegan. It’s advisable to always inform the barista about your dietary needs to provide you with suitable alternatives.
Does Starbucks have peppermint hot chocolate?
Yes, Starbucks does have a Peppermint Hot Chocolate! This drink is made of steamed milk, sweet mocha sauce, peppermint-flavored syrup, and is topped off with whipped cream and dark chocolate curls. It’s a popular choice during the holiday season but availability might vary across different locations.
Is peppermint still at Starbucks?
Yes, peppermint is typically available year-round at most Starbucks locations, although the availability may vary depending on regional offerings and stock. It’s a popular ingredient for a variety of beverages including the well-known peppermint mocha, which is often featured in their holiday drink lineup. However, it’s always best to check with your local Starbucks to make sure.
Making Starbucks peppermint hot chocolate is no harder than making a regular coffee when we think about it. It’s maybe not quite as waistline-friendly however! This drink is really rich, we double dare you to drink more than one! Thanks for reading, we really hope you enjoy it.