Have you ever tried frozen hot chocolate? This is a fantastic oxymoron, and a great recipe for those hot summer days when you fancy a chocolate hit, but it’s simply too warm to even contemplate drinking actual hot chocolate. Let’s find out how to make frozen hot chocolate!
How To Make Frozen Hot Chocolate
For this treat, you’re going to need:
- Hot cocoa: you can make this using your favorite hot cocoa powder, or by melting chocolate if you prefer that method. Either should work well, giving you a delightfully sweet drink to enjoy.
- Milk: this will form the bulk of your chilled hot chocolate, making it creamy and smooth.
- Whipped cream: you don’t have to add whipped cream, but it certainly makes this drink more decadent and delicious.
- Crushed ice: it wouldn’t be frozen hot chocolate without a good amount of crushed ice poured in.
- Extra cocoa powder: this is perfect for dusting the top of your drink.
If you want to make your own whipped cream at home, you’ll need
- Sugar: no whipped cream tastes right if it isn’t deliciously sweet, providing a hit of energy.
- Vanilla extract: for extra flavor, you need a dash of vanilla extract, but you can also try any other extracts that take your fancy. Try almond, orange, fudge, caramel, or lemon for an alternative twist on this drink.
- Whipping cream: choose a high-quality, full-fat one for the most flavor.
See Also: Starbucks Original Recipes
Tips & Tricks
One of the best things about frozen hot chocolate is how much scope there is to play around with flavors and amend it to suit your tastes. Try any of the below suggestions to make your recipe taste great!
- Add toppings. You can go as crazy as you like with toppings, chopping up any of your favorite candies and sprinkling them on top of the hot chocolate. Try sprinkles, or crush up fudge, peppermints, toffee, or white, milk, or dark chocolate chips. Spread a generous layer on your whipped cream and enjoy!
- Try some mini marshmallows, or crush up some chocolate cookies and sprinkle these on top.
- Add a dusting of cinnamon or nutmeg if you don’t want your drink to be too sickly.
- Squirt some caramel or fudge sauce across the top, or stir it into the drink itself.
- Swirl a bit of melted Nutella or peanut butter sauce into the drink.
- If you fancy an adult twist, add a small shot of Amaretto, chocolate vodka, or orange liqueur to the glass.
- Add a dash of espresso to give the drink a bit more of a kick, or even consider using coffee ice cubes instead of normal water ice cubes.
- Toss some fruit into the blender to lend it a fruity flavor. A frozen banana can be used to replace some of the ice, or you can add strawberries and raspberries to enhance the chocolate. Cherries and blueberries are also great options.
- If you want a really cold drink, stir a scoop of ice cream into the glass along with the frozen hot chocolate. This will gradually melt, lending its creamy flavor to the drink and helping to keep it cold for longer.
Can you store frozen hot chocolate for later?
Not if you want ice in it. You can have chilled hot chocolate by placing the glass in the fridge, but the crushed ice will quickly melt. It will still be enjoyable, but not as cold. If you want to make it last better, try freezing your glass before tipping the frozen hot chocolate into it.
How do you make this drink without a blender?
If you can purchase crushed ice, it is possible to make frozen hot chocolate without a blender, but you will need a good mixing arm. Make sure all your ingredients are thoroughly whisked together before adding the ice and serving.
Can I put frozen hot chocolate in the freezer?
A: This will just result in the whole mixture freezing. It can be done, but you will then need to wait for it to thaw before you can drink it, and it will not have the ice chips in.
Can you make this hot chocolate dairy-free?
Yes, simply swap the chocolate for a dairy-free chocolate or dark chocolate, and use water instead of milk. You can also try a plant milk, such as almond or soy, if you find you miss the creaminess.
Frozen hot chocolate is a wonderful summer drink that will help you to stay cool on hot days, and it can be made with so many variations and twists!