Coffee and cake – these are two things that you’ll find in abundance in Starbucks. Well, why not combine the two? Starbucks Coffee Cake made at home, anyone? Put your hands down, because I am excited to show you how to make it yourself, that way you can have this delicious dessert any time you so choose. It’s super simple. Let me show you how.
How to Make Copycat Starbucks Coffee Cake
Our homemade Starbucks Coffee Cake is superbly rich and decadent and one of our favorite Starbucks recipes. It is actually made in three different layers. On the top, you have a crunchy streusel topping with the exquisite tastes of butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Then we have a further layer of cinnamon. This all goes on top of a moist and delicious slice of chunky cake.
We start by getting the oven warmed up, but we aren’t idle while we are waiting, oh no. We start by making the streusel layer. It is pretty easy to do, provided you have a bowl. We just mix a few ingredients together, ready to top the batter.
From there, we want to really infuse the cake with even more cinnamon. So we prepare a different cinnamon topping.
From there, it’s just a case of layering up your cake and getting it ready for the oven. How you layer the cake is up to you. We like to pour half of the batter, add a cinnamon layer, and then pour the other half before topping with our delicious streusel mix.
The key to getting this cake bang on is to make sure that it is entirely cooked through. We have a trick in our tips and tricks section to ensure that yours will be cooked to perfection.
A slice of Starbucks Coffee Cake contains approximately 330 calories. However, making it at home allows you to control the portion sizes and potentially reduce the calorie count per serving. Nonetheless, this cake is best enjoyed as an occasional treat paired with your favorite coffee.
Tips and Tricks
- Ok, I’m going to share my number one trick with you when making the cake batter. This doesn’t just work for Starbucks coffee cake either. Any cake you make will benefit. Make sure that you use softened butter. Not cold hard butter, not melted butter. Softened Butter. This might involve a little forward planning, but leave your butter out of the fridge until it comes up to room temperature. It’s much easier to get a smoother batter this way.
- Here’s another trick that the cookbooks might not tell you. When making Starbucks coffee cake, line your cake tin with baking paper. It makes getting the cake out so much easier, and not only this, it prevents bits from becoming burned on, saving you washing up too!
- When baking, you want your cake to be cooked to perfection. Nobody likes a raw cake. There are two ways to do this, but a cake thermometer isn’t the way forward. We find a toothpick is the cheapest method. Keep an eye on your cake and once the cooking time has elapsed, poke a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, this means that your cake is done.
- If using the toothpick method, and it comes out with batter attached, work methodically to get your cake just right. By this, we mean give your cake successive blasts of 5 minutes at a time in the oven. Using this method, you can avoid overcooking your cake.
- It’s not often we say this, but to get the best results, you will want to use a food mixer to make this cake batter. You can do it by hand, but for something similar to the authentic Starbucks coffee cake, a mixer ensures a super smooth and silky batter.
- Here’s a great tip that not many people know. If you’ve ever had a Starbucks coffee cake, you’ll notice that it is entirely uniform in thickness. This is because of the way they spread the batter. Sure, you could just use a wooden spoon. But we find a moistened spatula works so much better. If you don’t have a spatula, a wet hand works well to make sure that the cake batter is spread really evenly.
Storing and Freezing Coffee Cake
To store your coffee cake, simply wrap it in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container at room temperature. It should stay fresh for about two to three days.
Wondering if you can freeze coffee cake? Absolutely! Just be sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil before freezing. It can be stored frozen for up to three months.
There’s something incredibly satisfying about making your favorite Starbucks Coffee Cake at home. Not only can you enjoy this delicious treat anytime, but you also have the freedom to tweak the recipe according to your taste preference. So go ahead, give this recipe a try and savor it with your much-loved cup of coffee!