Now, we can’t be sure, but we don’t think we have ever met anyone who doesn’t love the taste of vanilla. This copycat Starbucks drink is amazing. It’s like a cross between ice cream and a milkshake all in one glass. So today, we are going to show you how to make an authentic Starbucks vanilla bean Frappuccino. It’s super easy and only takes six ingredients. So let’s dive right in.
How to Make Starbucks Vanilla Bean Frappuccino
Listen, we are going come right and say it.
If you want to make an authentic Starbucks vanilla bean Frappuccino, you will have to use a blender. Sorry, that’s just how it is. However, there are a few alternative ways you can make it (see the tips and tricks). Still, to get it exactly like the original Starbucks version, you will have to copy their methods.
There’s a trick to this recipe. If you’ve ever tried Starbucks ‘ own version, you’ll know that it is super thick and creamy. We would like to share the secret with you. No, it has nothing to do with cream or dairy. Here’s the answer.
Ice. Lots of ice!
When ice is pulverized in a blender, it thickens up drinks really quickly. So if you’ve ever had a smoothy or shake that is too watery, you’ll be able to rectify it by blending with more ice. Now you know.
This drink should really be called a double vanilla bean Frappuccino. We say this because it gets its delicious and sweet vanilla taste from not one but two ingredients. The first is vanilla extract. We love it as a little actually goes a very long way. In fact, it is sometimes better to use sparingly, or you can make your drink taste a little bit bitter!
The second ingredient that adds to the vanilla goodness is vanilla bean ice cream! This is super sweet. We try not to use too much of this. After all, we are making a Frappuccino and not a shake! But, we have a little confession to make. Not all of the ice cream we scoop out makes its way into the blender… One for the pot, one for us, do you know what we are saying?
From there, it is just a case of adding enough to get the drink to the desired consistency…
Oops, we almost forgot a vital ingredient. Whipped cream! There is nothing nicer than taking breaking through that soft, creamy layer and sipping the sweet and cooling drink below. Don’t forget it as it makes our Starbucks vanilla bean Frappuccino something really special!
Tips and Tricks
- If you don’t like dairy, feel free to use a dairy alternative in place of the milk. We find the best to be almond milk. However, soy milk and coconut milk could be worth substitutes too.
- We use vanilla essence in our recipe simply because it is easy, and vanilla essence lasts a long time. However, if you want to make this drink extra special, you can ‘vanilla it up’ using a few different methods. The first is to make your own vanilla syrup. This is really easy to do and adds a really sweet element to the drink. Alternatively, use half a fresh vanilla pod. Split the pod and scrape the seeds into the blender. It tastes amazing!
- As we said, the key to getting our Starbucks vanilla bean Frappuccino is to use the right amount of ice. You definitely don’t want to scrimp on the amount. But, on the other hand, it is better to add too much and end up with a slightly too thick drink. It will obviously melt and thin out a little after you have served it.
- If you have used too much ice and can’t wait for it to melt, don’t worry. Instead, add a splash more milk and give it a further blitz in the blender until your Frappuccino reaches the desired consistency.
- Ideally, you will want to use a blender, but you can still get all the taste of this recipe, even if you can’t get the texture. So here’s the answer if you are looking to make a Starbucks vanilla bean Frappuccino without a blender.. Use a flask or cocktail shaker. Add all of the ingredients and give it a real hard shake. You’ll find that with the air and the ice, you’ll still get a pleasantly fluffy drink.
- To make this drink really eye-catching (and trendy), we have served it in mason jars with a straw. Aside from stopping you from getting a milk mustache, the straw is really great for hoovering up all of those stray bits of sweet vanilla foam.
- One key to this recipe is getting the drink really smooth. It can sometimes be hard to tell with a blender, so here’s a great tip. It is impossible to overdo it with this Frappuccino recipe. You’ll be able to tell when all the ice has been pulverized as it will stop making a ratline sound, and the blender will all of a sudden go higher in pitch. That means it’s ready!
With just six ingredients and a little patience, you can make something that easily rivals a Starbucks vanilla bean Frappuccino (we wish we’d invented it, it is so easy!). This is a great pick-me-up on a hot summer’s day and is one of our favorites. It’s so cool and creamy. Have you tried our recipe? Let us know in the comments.