Kentucky Fried Chicken, fondly known as KFC, is famous for its unique and mouth-watering fried chicken. The secret behind their delicious taste is their seasoning, a special blend of 11 herbs and spices. If you’re a home cook who loves KFC’s signature taste and want to recreate this experience in your own kitchen, I have made this post for you!
How To Make Copycat KFC Seasoning
Creating your own KFC seasoning at home requires a handful of common household spices.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Salt – enhances the overall taste.
- Thyme – adds a touch of aromatic freshness.
- Basil – contributes to the aromatic freshness.
- Oregano – also contributes to the aromatic freshness.
- Celery salt – contributes to the savory depth of the seasoning.
- Black pepper – adds to the savory depth.
- Dried mustard – another element that contributes to the savory depth.
- Paprika – provides a subtle sweetness and a vibrant color.
- Garlic salt – adds a layer of garlicky flavor.
- Ground ginger – gives an unexpected warmth.
- White pepper – adds a distinct sharpness to the mix.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, it’s time to blend them together to create your homemade KFC seasoning.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Use a whisk or fork to mix them together until they are well combined.
- Store the seasoning in an air-tight container at room temperature.
That’s it! You now have your own homemade KFC seasoning.
Tips & Tricks
To achieve the perfect KFC-like fried chicken, there are a few additional tips and tricks to keep in mind.
- Freshness of Spices: Always use fresh spices for the best flavor, as they lose potency over time.
- Adjust to Taste: Feel free to adjust the seasoning according to your preference. You might want to add more paprika for a deeper color, or more white pepper for a spicier kick.
- Storage: Store the seasoning mix in a cool, dry place to maintain freshness.
- Usage: This seasoning can be used for frying chicken, as well as for seasoning other meats and vegetables.
- MSG Use: The use of MSG is optional and can be omitted based on dietary preferences or restrictions.
- For best results, marinate your chicken in the seasoning for at least an hour, or even overnight if possible. This allows the flavors to deeply penetrate the meat.
- When frying, use a deep-fryer or a heavy-bottomed pot to ensure even heating and browning.
Can you buy KFC Coating?
Unfortunately, KFC does not sell its proprietary coating. However, there are some store-bought alternatives that can mimic the KFC flavor quite well. Look for southern-style or Cajun-style seasonings in your local grocery store.
What Flavour enhancer does KFC use?
KFC uses monosodium glutamate (MSG) as a flavor enhancer in their recipes. MSG is known to enhance savory, meaty flavors, making it a key ingredient in many fast-food recipes. However, if you prefer not to use MSG, you can substitute with a variety of natural flavor enhancers such as soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, or even a splash of fish sauce.
What KFC Dishes to Serve this with
This homemade KFC seasoning blend is incredibly versatile and can be used to recreate a variety of KFC’s popular dishes. Here are some classic KFC-inspired dishes you can serve with this seasoning:
- Fried Chicken: The most obvious and classic choice. Use this seasoning to marinate and coat chicken pieces before frying to get that iconic KFC taste.
- Popcorn Chicken: Make bite-sized popcorn chicken with a crispy coating using this seasoning for a delicious snack or appetizer.
- Chicken Tenders: Perfect for a lighter option, these tenders can be seasoned and breaded with the KFC seasoning mix for a flavorful meal.
- Chicken Sandwich: Use the seasoning in the breading for chicken fillets to create a delicious chicken sandwich, topped with lettuce and mayonnaise.
- Potato Wedges: Toss your potato wedges with this seasoning before baking or frying for a spicy twist on a classic side dish.
- Cooks in 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Rich and creamy KFC-inspired mashed potatoes, bringing the iconic comfort food flavor to your home table in under 30 minutes
- Cooks in 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Why go to the KFC restaurant chain when you can make KFC popcorn chicken in the comfort of your home. This recipe is easy and will be so much fun to make.
- Cooks in 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
KFC chicken pot pie is one dish you’re going to love. You can make this dish in the comfort of your home. It’s certain to be a contender on weekdays when you’re in need of a pick up dish.
Cooking at home can be an exciting adventure, and recreating your favorite fast-food flavor is a fun challenge to undertake. With this KFC seasoning copycat recipe, you’re well on your way to creating a fried chicken experience that rivals the original! Not only does homemade seasoning give you control over the ingredients, but it also allows you to customize the flavor profile according to your liking.
So go ahead, try this recipe and enjoy the satisfaction of creating your own finger-licking-good chicken right at home! And don’t forget to share your cooking experiences, tips, and tweaks in the comments below. Happy cooking!