Who doesn’t love the creamy, flavorful goodness of KFC’s mashed potatoes and gravy? It’s the ultimate comfort food that pairs beautifully with almost any dish. Our purpose today is to deconstruct this culinary marvel and bring the magic right into your own kitchen.
How To Make Copycat KFC Mashed Potatoes
To start, you’re going to need some quality ingredients to recreate the iconic KFC mashed potatoes:
- Potatoes: 1kg of Russet or similar starchy potatoes. These potatoes are known for their fluffy texture when mashed.
- Salt: 1 teaspoon of salt for boiling the potatoes. You might need an additional 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (or to taste) when seasoning the mashed potatoes at the end.
- Unsalted Butter: 100 grams (approximately 7 tablespoons) of unsalted butter. This adds richness to the mashed potatoes.
- Heavy/Thickened Cream: 1 cup (240 ml). This provides creaminess to the dish.
- Full-Fat Milk: 1/2 cup (120 ml). This helps in achieving the right consistency.
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper: Start with 1/4 teaspoon and adjust according to taste.
Now, let’s get down to the business of creating this delicious dish:
Step 1: Preparing the Potatoes
Begin by peeling your potatoes and cutting them into cubes. This not only speeds up cooking time but also ensures your potatoes cook evenly.
Step 2: Cooking the Potatoes
Place your potato cubes in a large pot, add salt, and cover them with water. Bring them to a boil and then reduce the heat, letting them simmer until they’re soft and beginning to fall apart.
Step 3: Preparing the Milk Mixture
While your potatoes are cooking, melt your butter in a separate saucepan. Once it has melted, add your cream and milk, heating the mixture until it’s just about to simmer.
Step 4: Mashing the Potatoes
Once your potatoes are cooked, drain them thoroughly and let them steam dry for a few minutes. Then, use a potato ricer to mash them, ensuring you achieve that soft, fluffy, and creamy texture we all love.
Step 5: Combining Ingredients and Seasoning
Add your hot milk mixture to the mashed potatoes and gently stir to combine. Season your potatoes with additional salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Step 6: Adjusting Consistency
Last but not least, adjust the consistency of your mashed potatoes. They should be creamy, but not too thick or too watery.
See Also: KFC Recipes you can Make at Home
Tips for Perfect KFC Mashed Potatoes
- Choose the Right Potato: Starchy potatoes like Russets are perfect for mashing. They have a higher starch content which makes your mashed potatoes fluffy and creamy.
- Use a Potato Ricer: This tool helps to achieve the perfect, lump-free texture. Avoid using a beater as it can result in a dense, heavy mash.
- Mash the Potatoes while they’re hot: This will help to achieve a smoother texture as the potatoes will break down and absorb the milk mixture more easily.
- Season Well: Don’t skimp on the seasoning. Salt enhances the natural flavor of the potatoes, and pepper adds a little kick.
- Add the Milk Mixture Gradually: It’s crucial to add your hot milk mixture bit by bit to your mashed potatoes. This way, you can control the consistency of your mash better.
- Adjust Consistency: The consistency of your mashed potatoes should be creamy. If it’s too thick, add more milk; if it’s too watery, let it cook a bit longer.
- Vegetarian? No Problem: You can easily adapt this recipe for vegetarian diets by using vegetable stock instead of cream and butter.
What To Serve with KFC Potato and Gravy
Now that you’ve made your KFC mashed potatoes, it’s time to decide what to serve them with. They pair excellently with fried chicken, bread rolls, and hot chips. They also make a great side dish for various meats like sausages, steak, and schnitzel.
KFC has some classic recipes and we’ve collated the secret sauce to allow you to replicate these KFC recipes. Follow our instructions and you’ll be able to bring Kentucky Fried Chicken into your own home.
- Cooks in 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Why go to the KFC restaurant chain when you can make KFC popcorn chicken in the comfort of your home. This recipe is easy and will be so much fun to make.
- Cooks in 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
These light and flaky KFC biscuits are the best biscuits you will ever make! It takes only a few minutes to make and can be served as a side with a wide variety of meals.
For vegetarians, you can follow the same cooking technique using vegetable stock instead of cream and butter. To enhance the color and add some extra flavor, consider using dark soy sauce or adding some chili powder or garlic granules.
Making KFC mashed potatoes at home is simpler than you might think. With a few key ingredients and a little patience, you can recreate this comforting dish in your own kitchen. We encourage you to give this recipe a try and add your own twist to it. After all, cooking is all about experimentation and creativity.
Remember, the best dishes are made with love and shared with family and friends. So go ahead, roll up your sleeves, and start creating some delicious memories. Don’t forget to share your experiences and variations of the recipe in the comments section below. Happy cooking!