There is nothing more frustrating than going to your local KFC restaurant and ordering their famous KFC Zinger burger, just to find out that somehow, they are out fresh out; the frustration and disappointment are unmet and can really put a damper on your day.
Luckily, you can make your very own KFC Zinger right at home! This recipe is incredibly easy and tastes just like the real thing.
What is in a Zinger burger?
The Zinger Burger from KFC includes a succulent, crispy chicken fillet marinated and breaded in KFC’s signature hot and spicy blend, topped with fresh lettuce and a slice of ripe tomato, all enveloped in a warm, freshly toasted sesame bun. It may come along with a flavorful condiment like mayo or tangy sauce, depending on the region’s specific recipe.
How To Make KFC Zinger Burger
Create a mouth-watering, spicy Zinger Burger from scratch with this easy to follow recipe. Enjoy your homemade Zinger Burger that’s crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside, and full of flavour!
For the Marinade:
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 TBSP Salt
- 3 tsp Cayenne
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- 4 to 6 Chicken Breasts (3-4oz each)
For the Breading:
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 TBSP Baking Powder
- 1 TBSP Sugar
- ½ tsp Cayenne
- ¼ tsp Paprika
For the Sandwich:
- Bun Heel and Crown
- Romaine Lettuce
1. Preparing the Marinade
Combine the chicken stock, salt, cayenne, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder in a bowl. Whisk them together until well-blended. Place your chicken breasts in the marinade, ensuring they are completely covered. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
2. Preparing the Breading
In a different bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, cayenne, and paprika together. Whisk them together until well-mixed.
3. Breading the Chicken
Once your chicken has been fully marinated, it’s time to bread them. Dip the marinated chicken breasts in the breading mixture. Then, dip it into water, and back into the flour. Make sure the chicken is fully coated.
4. Frying the Chicken
Heat oil in a pan or pot to 350F. Place the breaded chicken into the oil and let them fry for 6 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
5. Assembling the Sandwich
Start with the heel of your bun and spread a generous amount of mayonnaise on it. Add the romaine lettuce next. Place your freshly fried chicken on top. Finish the sandwich by placing the crown of your bun on top.
Top the burger with the top-half bun and serve with delicious fries.
Tips & Tricks
- When coating chicken (or any other type of food), use the wet hand, dry hand method. This means that, for example, if you use your left hand to dip the item in a wet ingredient, do not dip that hand in the dry ingredients, use your right hand to do so. This will prevent your fingers from being breaded and will ensure that you have a beautiful, mess-free crumb on your food as well as make for easier clean-up.
- To cook the chicken you can also deep-fry the chicken breasts in a large pot of oil at 320 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-10 minutes. If your crumb is dark, but your chicken isn’t cooked through, bake for another few minutes on 320 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you are not a fan of deep-fried chicken, an air-fryer will also get the job done. They fry chicken and many other foods without the use of any oil resulting in a much healthier, yet still crispy and delicious, chicken.
- For the burger itself, you can either collect sweet mayonnaise at your local KFC or you can buy some in-store. We also recommend combining this with a side of KFC coleslaw and wedges.
What makes a zinger burger spicy?
The distinctive spicy kick of a zinger burger primarily originates from the spicy marinade and breading. This marinade usually contains a mixture of hot chili powder, cayenne pepper, or other hot spices that are then infused into the chicken before being breaded and fried. Furthermore, zinger burgers often include a spiced up mayonnaise or sauce that adds another layer of heat and complements the spicy chicken.
Just like we promised, a delicious and fried chicken sandwich with sesame seed buns, add cheese and ketchup if you fancy it. Best of all, you now have an easy KFC Zinger burger made in the comfort of your own home! No more long queues, no more mediocre burgers; simply a fun recipe to make with the whole family for game- or movie night!