What do you get if you cross a cheeseburger and a pie? It’s not a joke; it’s one of our favorite recipes. Cheeseburger pie is a quick, easy, and delicious way to use up any extra ground beef. Our impossible cheeseburger pie recipe will have people come back for seconds, and even thirds, so make sure that you make enough to go round!
How to Make Impossible Cheeseburger Pie
Our cheeseburger pie really tastes like cheeseburgers. You have layers of juicy ground beef, a hint of onion and seasoning, and the ‘crust’ is a delicious chopping of melted cheese. You might be missing the bun and the fries, but that said, you could serve either alongside!
This isn’t a traditional pie in the real sense of the word. One of the great things about it is that you can save a lot of time and effort. It isn’t topped with pastry, but a delicious layer of oozy cheese and savory Bisquick. You can still cut it into slices and serve it exactly the same way you would a pie.
Now, we told you this is easy, and ‘easy’ in our book means no fancy equipment or ingredients. Our cheeseburger pie recipe is specially designed to use ingredients that you will nearly always find around the kitchen. We will offer you plenty of great advice for substitutes if you lack an element here or there in our tips and tricks section.
When it comes to equipment, you’ll need very little. Aside from a few utensils, you will need a large skillet, a pie dish, and a sharp knife.
This recipe makes enough for 8 people, but if you are cooking for a large crowd, you can upscale the recipe to make more. It will still work. Likewise, if you are cooking for 4 people, just halve the number of ingredients.
Our homemade cheeseburger pie recipe is great if you are catering at short notice or you simply don’t have that much time. It will take a grand total of around 15 minutes to prepare and around another 35 minutes to bake. That’s a lot of food for something that takes less than an hour in total, not bad?
8 servings per container
Serving Size1 servings
- Amount Per ServingCalories260
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 13g 20%
- Saturated Fat 6g 30%
- Cholesterol 140mg 47%
- Sodium 420mg 18%
- Potassium 400mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrate 8g 3%
- Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 25g 50%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Tips and Tricks
- As we’ve said, the cheeseburger pie is quick and convenient to make. In fact, you can make it ahead of time. This would make it ideal for a dinner party where you want to spend more time in the midst of the party than standing in the kitchen. Simple assemble all of your ingredients and just hold off pouring the topping until it is time to bake.
- If you love cheeseburger pie, hint; you will… then you may want to enjoy it a few times. The good news is that you can freeze this recipe in individual portions. Allow it to cool, and then cover it in kitchen wrap. To cook, give it around 3 minutes in a microwave or 40 minutes in a 280F oven.
- One question we are asked all the time is ‘what is Bisquick’? It’s basically a premade biscuit mix… Having no Bisquick isn’t a deal-breaker. You can make it yourself. Add 24oz of white flour, 4 teaspoons of baking powder, 2 tsp of salt, and half a stick of shortening to a bowl. Stir until you have fine breadcrumbs. Simple.
- You can adapt this dish to give you a few different flavors. Ever had a chili cheeseburger? How’s about a chili cheeseburger pie? It’s effortless to make. Just add a couple of teaspoons of cumin, paprika, and chili powder to the beef while cooking!
- If you have run out of minced beef, you can substitute it. Ground lamb works equally well. Generally, the only downside is that it has more fat, so be sure to drain it before adding it to the pie dish.
- Any cheese will work in this recipe. Cheddar or anything similar is ideal. If you are after a spicy cheeseburger pie, then an excellent way to add a little heat is to use Mexicana cheese in place of the cheddar.
- A great way to check your pie is cooked is to insert a knife or skewer into its center. If it comes out clean, your pie is cooked!
If you love the taste of cheeseburgers and the homeliness of a pie, then you are in luck. Our cheeseburger pie recipe ticks all of these boxes and more! We are going to make you a little bet that you help yourself to more than one serving. Cheeseburger or pie? Which do you prefer? Let us know in the comments below!