We’re lovin’ it! What are we talking about? Why our very own homemade McDonald’s cheeseburger recipe, of course! McDonald’s cheeseburgers are famous the world over, but sometimes it can be a chore to queue at the drive thru. This is our alternative, and it is slightly healthier as you’ll know exactly what’s in them. You will want your burger to taste as authentic as possible, so be sure to check out our tips and tricks for a perfect result.
How To Make a McDonald’s Cheeseburger
The good thing about this recipe is that you aren’t going to need any fancy equipment. And provided you get yourself organized, it shouldn’t take too long to make them either.
After all, McDonald’s is fast food!
You are going to need a few items that you wouldn’t expect for making burgers. For a start, make sure you have got baking paper.
Baking paper? Why McDonald’s don’t bake their cheeseburgers. Nope, that’s true. But there is one standout feature that will really make your recipe so much more authentic!
Ever noticed how thin their burgers are?
You’ll need baking paper and a rolling pin to get a good result, oh, and something to cut the burger into a perfectly round shape. We actually use a large mug!
There isn’t anything fancy to the McDonald’s cheese burger recipe when it comes to the burger itself. As the company themselves say, beef, and a little seasoning, that’s about it.
We combine the beef with salt and a dash of pepper, then roll it flat before cutting out 8 patties. Once this is done, we get a pan smoking hot and fry the burgers for about 4 minutes on each side.
While they are frying, it is time for a little prep. Split the buns, finely slice and onion and make sure that the pickles are sliced too (yes, it isn’t an authentic McDonald’s Cheeseburger recipe without a little green pickle).
Once the burgers are nearly done, it is time to add the cheese. No, you don’t want posh or fancy cheese, yes you do want slices of ‘American cheese’. The residual heat from the burger should melt the cheese in seconds.
From there, it is just a case of assembling your cheeseburger. Don’t forget the ketchup!
Tips and Tricks
- As we said at the start, to make your cheese burger really authentic, you will have to make those patties as thin as you can. Don’t worry if they are too thin. When they cook, they tighten up and turn a little fatter.
- If you want to make something on the McDonald’s menu akin to the quarter pounder, feel free to leave your burger patties slightly thicker.
- Be sure to lightly pickle your sliced onion before adding it to your burger. This is exactly what the company use in making their burger, and if they do it, so should you.
- Toasted burger buns are the order of the day. We like to fry ours in the pan that we just cooked the burger in. That way, they soak up all of the delicious juices from the meat.
- Pickle or not pickle. It’s your choice… We say with a pickle for sure
- Want a top tip? Ever noticed how their cheeseburgers are just a little bit floppy? As a final step to make them look and taste really authentic, we occasionally wrap them in paper and give them a quick blast in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- This recipe is identical to the McDonald’s recipe. The only difference is the cheese. If you want a standard hamburger, feel free to leave the cheese out. Alternatively you can make their big mac recipe also.
- For a slightly classier cheeseburger, you can use a thin slice of cheddar or whatever cheese you have on hand, while we suggest American cheese.
Making this cheeseburger recipe is easy. There is no fancy equipment, no ‘special’ ingredients, and it is actually pretty quick as long as you are organized. Stick to our tips and tricks, follow the recipe exactly, and you’ll be rewarded with a fast-food snack that is every bit as good as the original. The only problem we have is making enough to go around as there are always people coming back for seconds!
What McDonald’s recipe is your favorite? Let us know in the comments. It’ll really make our day.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of beef is best to use for the patties?
Lean ground beef, preferably 80/20, is best for this recipe. The fat content will ensure a juicy burger while still maintaining a good beefy flavor.
Can I use any other type of cheese instead of American cheese?
Yes, you can use other types of cheese. However, American cheese is used in the original McDonald’s Cheeseburger for its perfect melt and creamy texture.
Can I make these burgers in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the patties in advance and store them in the fridge. However, they are best when cooked and served immediately.
What type of buns should I use?
Soft, fluffy hamburger buns are the best to use. Make sure to toast them lightly for the best taste and texture.
Can I add other toppings to my cheeseburger?
While the original McDonald’s Cheeseburger only includes pickles, onions, ketchup, and mustard, feel free to customize your burger with your favorite toppings.
How do I get my patties to be the right size and shape?
To get the perfect size and shape for your patties, you can use a burger press or a round cookie cutter as a guide. Remember, the patties should be thin, not thick.
Can I cook the burgers on a grill?
Yes, you can cook the burgers on a grill. However, a flat griddle or frying pan will provide a more authentic McDonald’s Cheeseburger experience.