Are you looking for a classic casserole to serve at the table? This rich, creamy, soupy, and crunchy tater tot casserole will definitely put you in the right mood. Super simple and quick, this casserole recipe is one of my favorite meals that I serve every special occasion at home.
It barely takes 25 minutes to cook, limiting the time in the kitchen to get this ready. Just layer the ingredients in your casserole dish and put it in the oven, and Voila! You will be witnessing a warm and bubbling tater tot casserole.
I still remember the day when I first tried this casserole. It tasted so heavenly! At first, I thought this casserole must be full of fancy ingredients, but to my to my surprise, the recipe turns out to be quite budget-friendly.
How To Make Easy Tater Tot Casserole
Essentially, what you will need to make this recipe is some beef, mixed vegetables, cheese, tater tots, and sauces to add an inspiring flavor. Soon you will find in this recipe that I haven’t used any spices, not even the salt and the black pepper. However, you can use some spices or dried herbs as per your taste preference. I usually add a sprinkle of dried rosemary or dried oregano on top of the freshly baked, cheesy casserole, which gives off a tempting aroma and irresistible flavor.
Tips & Tricks for Baking the Best Tater Tot Casserole
- Casserole always sounds delicious when it is enriched with loads of cheese. Though this recipe calls for only cheddar cheese, you can also add a handful of all other types of cheese. Cheddar, feta, American, or Colby jack cheese can also be added on top of the casserole to make it more nutritious. I personally prefer to use a mix of all these cheeses on top of my casserole.
- If you want to go for easy cleaning, then try spraying your casserole dish with some cooking oil or use some butter to grease its base. In this way, the casserole layers will come out smoothly and easily, and you can clean the dish in no time.
- When the beef filling is infused with some garlicky flavor, it makes the casserole taste so heavenly. To do so, you can add a sprinkle or a pinch of garlic powder to the beef while sautéing. Or simply sauté freshly chopped garlic in some oil then sauté the beef in that oil.
- The great part about this casserole is that you can customize it in every possible way as per your liking. Adding colorful veggies to the casserole is a nice way to add more flavors, crunch, and nutrients like carrots, broccoli, and mushrooms, or you can use a combination of these vegetables. Chop the veggies, then sauté them or 2-3 minutes until soft, then add to the sautéed beef.
- Similarly, you can also bring variation by replacing the beef mince with turkey or chicken mince. Use lean, fat-free meat to prepare your casserole to keep it healthy.
- There is yet another way to bring more flavors to the casserole. It can taste smoky and sweet by replacing ketchup with barbecue sauce.
- If the casserole tastes too thick or dry to you, then you can add ½ cup of animal milk or coconut milk. Or whisk in more mushroom soup to reduce the thickness of the casserole filling.
- Here is a meal prepping tip for you. You can store the assembled casserole layers in your freezer then simply bake the casserole directly in the oven for about 90 minutes until golden brown from top. Or defrost the casserole in the refrigerator overnight, then bake it for 35 minutes.
- You are worried about any leftovers, then don’t worry; we can also store this casserole for as many as 4 days. But it is important to store the casserole in a sealed and cleaned container. Then place the container in the refrigerator. To serve again, simply reheat for 2 minutes in the microwave at High temperature or at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- It is important to choose the right size of the casserole dish before you assemble the layers. It should not be too small, nor too wide; else, the liquid will quickly evaporate. A 12×8 inches casserole dish is a perfect size for this recipe.
- Instead of cream of mushroom soup, there are several other options to go for, like chicken soup, broccoli soup, and cream of bacon.
With the basic recipe and all the special tips, you too can enjoy and bake a delicious casserole at home. It is a perfect fit for every household and every special occasion. Either you serve it at lunch or at dinner, this casserole is one comforting meal for the day. Pair it with warm and fresh bread. Do give it a try and don’t hesitate to experiment, using a range of spices, vegetables, and different type of cream to make it richer. Let us know down below about your experience.