Nothing is better than coming home after a busy day to a warm walking taco casserole. This heavenly dish contains the best of taco salad in the form of casserole. It’s something different, yet similar that will bring a smile to your face. Most importantly, your entire family will enjoy this dish.
This delicious dish is made of succulent ground beef, Frito chips, and shredded cheese layered in a large baking dish and topped with tomatoes and lettuce. It’s the perfect way to use your leftovers in the fridge and reduce your food waste.
Walking taco casserole is super easy to make and takes not more than 20 minutes to prepare it. Together with the cooking time, you’ll need up to 50 minutes to have it ready on your table.
Here’s more about the ingredients and the preparation of this simple, mouthwatering dish.
How To Make Walking Taco Casserole
The combination of flavors in this meal is out of this world. Yet, the recipe requires simple, everyday ingredients you can find everywhere. In fact, you probably have most of them in your kitchen right now.
The star of the recipe is the ground beef which is best when it’s 90% lean. That’s because it’s not too greasy while having a lot of flavor. If you want a healthier alternative, feel free to use ground turkey.
To add a unique Mexican flavor to your Walking Taco Casserole, use Taco seasoning mix. This will save you some time in the kitchen instead of preparing your own taco seasoning, even though the latter is always better.
Use Frito chips, nacho cheese chips, or standard tortilla chips to give your meal the perfect amount of crunchiness.
Another ingredient for this delicious meal is shredded cheese. Monterey Jack, Cheddar, or a Mexican blend are all good options for this recipe, but to make it spicier you can use pepper jack.
Lettuce will make your dish fresher and healthier. Besides, you can’t have a taco salad without this ingredient, right?
Another healthy ingredient for this Walking Taco Casserole is tomatoes. You can use sweet cherry tomatoes with lettuce to top the layers of ground beef, Frito chips, and cheese. If you don’t have this style of tomatoes, feel free to use any other.
Here are the step-by-step instructions and the right amount of ingredients to make eight servings of homemade Walking Taco Casserole.
Cooking Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks when it comes to the preparation of this Walking Taco Casserole recipe:
- Use 80 to 90% lean ground beef if you want to make a healthier version of Walking Taco Casserole. This type of ground beef has less saturated fat which makes the whole meal healthier. Another option is to use ground turkey. When it comes to the other ingredients, healthier alternatives include reduced-sodium ingredients and reduced-fat shredded cheese. The meal is so delicious that no one will notice the difference.
- Even though the recipe requires Monterey Jack and Colby cheese, you can also use sharp cheddar cheese for a richer and more pronounced flavor.
- If you top it off with plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, you’ll make yourself a typical Mexican dish.
- Tortilla chips and corn chips are great for this recipe, but feel free to add beans, olives, guacamole, jalapeno, or another taco ingredient.
- Avoid buying pre-made shredded cheese to save some money. Instead, shred it yourself.
- To crush your chips into about ¼ inch pieces, use a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- You can also add beans, corn, or bell peppers into the ground beef mix for a different version of this recipe.
How to Store It and Prepare It in Advance
One of the best things about this meal is that you can make a huge batch in advance and store it in the fridge for later use. In that way, you’ll have a quick and delicious dinner in no time.
If you want to make it ahead of time, brown, drain, and season the ground beef and let it cool in the greased baking dish. Store it in the fridge wrapped with plastic wrap or foil.
When you want it served, just remove it from the fridge, cover it with chips and shredded cheese, and put it in a preheated oven to 350°F.
After baking for about 25 minutes, remove the lid and bake for a few more minutes to make sure the cheese is melted. Then, just add the lettuce and tomato and your casserole is ready.
To store your leftover casserole properly so that it can last for 3 to 4 more days, transfer it in an airtight container and put it in the fridge. However, don’t forget to remove the lettuce before reheating it in the oven or microwave to prevent it from becoming all soggy. Once warm, place it back and serve.
This is probably the easiest and quickest way to make your own Walking Taco Casserole that will make your taste buds go crazy. Try it out and share it with your loved ones.
Let us know down below in the comments section how you make your walking taco casserole and send us a picture once you’ve completed your own version. We love to add these to our Facebook page.