What would you say if we told you that you can combine all of the goodness of Churros with all of the taste and texture of a waffle? Well, fear not friends, that time is now. Today we are going to show you our very own delicious churro waffle recipe. Want to know the best bit? We reckon you’ll already have all of the ingredients you need to make this in your store cupboard at home. Let’s roll up our sleeves and dig in!
How to Make our Churro Waffle Recipe
Ok, it is time to be upfront.
If you want to make churro waffles, you will need a key piece of kitchen equipment.
We are, of course, talking about a waffle iron.
The key to crisp and perfect waffles is to get your waffle iron hot. So before you do anything else, whack it on!
While we are waiting for our waffle iron to get up to speed, we start to make the churro waffle batter. It is important to note that while our churro waffle recipe has a similar taste and texture to churros, it is slightly different, so you’ll need to pay attention.
We take a large bowl and a whisk. This recipe has two distinct parts when it comes to prep. We will make the batter and then assemble a churro topping separately before getting a production line of deliciousness going full steam ahead!
First, the batter. In our bowl, we add the eggs and give them a good beating. We then add the flour and only the flour!
By making a smooth paste with the eggs and flour, you avoid the possibility of lumps later on!
Once this is done, now is the time to add the other ingredients. We beat in the milk to form a smooth and lump free batter. We then add our melted butter along with our vanilla extract and the cinnamon.
From there, it takes just a tiny bit of elbow grease before we are ready to go.
With that job done, we move on to the churro topping. This is what gives our churro waffles that unique churros taste.
It’s so easy.
In another bowl, we mix sugar, a large helping of cinnamon, and some melted butter. We place that next to our waffle iron. Like, right next to it.
This is the secret. As you cook each waffle to golden brown perfection, you will flip it out, and while it is still hot, plunge it straight into the churro coating. The sugar will melt slightly, and the melted butter will ensure that your waffles are nicely coated in that super sweet dusting!
We serve these stacked high with a drizzle of syrup. But if you don’t have any, that’s ok as they’ll still vanish from the table within seconds of you serving them.
Tips and Tricks
- You might find that your waffles stick to your iron. Here’s a quick tip to free them up. It’s not healthy, but it is really effective… We are talking extra butter. Give your waffle iron a little brush with some melted butter in between churro waffles. Not only will it help to get them off the iron, but it will also make them more receptive to all of that delicious coating
- Want a little more churros taste? Why not whip up a sweet and luxurious homemade chocolate sauce to go with your waffles? It’s so easy. Melt some chocolate in the microwave and then add half a cup of heavy cream. This will stop the chocolate from setting and allow you to dip!
- Don’t forget the baking powder. Our churro waffle recipe is light and fluffy. This is almost entirely down to the baking powder. As it heats, it fizzes create a light and fluffy waffle.
- Want that authentic churros taste? The key is the cinnamon! Don’t scrimp on the cinnamon! It is better to use too much than too little. Your mouth will thank you for it!
- Be sure to mix your dry ingredients and your eggs first. By beating them together and getting them smooth, you can 100% make sure that you have no lumps. Nobody likes a lumpy churro waffle!
- If you want to go super posh, you can swap out the vanilla extract or fresh vanilla. One pod is more than enough!
This has to be one of my all-time favorite Mexican recipes. Our churro waffle recipe is crispy, sweet, and actually really filling. You can make these for dessert or for a naughty weekend breakfast! The key lies in the vast quantities of sugar and cinnamon. It’s as easy as making pancakes. What are you going to serve yours with? Chocolate sauce or syrup? Both! We love your style. Thanks for reading!