If you are a waffle person, having a delectable banana waffle recipe up your sleeve is a must – but how do you make the most amazing banana waffles out there? Let’s explore a fantastic recipe for these decadent treats so you can enjoy them any time you fancy!
How To Make Banana Waffles
You will need:
- Flour – no waffles can be complete without some all-purpose flour (or your favorite alternative flour).
- Sugar: waffles have to be sweet, and banana waffles are no exception, so make sure you’ve got plenty of sugar to hand.
- Milk: you can use full fat or skimmed milk for this recipe, or swap in a plant-based milk if you prefer.
- Overripe bananas: the riper, the better! The bananas will give your waffles a fabulous sweetness and toffee-like flavor.
- Butter: you can use salted for a bit of extra tang, or unsalted if you prefer.
- Baking powder, so that your waffles will be delightfully fluffy. Make sure your baking powder is fresh so it will provide maximum airiness to the waffles.
- Egg yolks: these are essential for ensuring that your waffles all stick together and taste great.
- Vanilla extract, because waffles aren’t waffles if they don’t have a sweet, vanilla taste beneath the toppings.
See Also: Enjoy this recipe, you’ll also enjoy our other banana desserts
Tips & Tricks
So, you’ve now got a fantastic banana waffle recipe up your sleeve, but how can you make this recipe taste truly incredible? Let’s look at some of the best tips for ensuring your banana waffles will knock any others out of the park.
- Use ripe or overripe bananas. You can use fresh bananas for this recipe, but the riper they are, the better the flavor of your waffles will be. This is a great way to use up bananas that are going brown or even black – once they are mashed, it won’t matter!
- Keep an eye on the batter consistency and add a little more flour if it is too runny. Add the flour slowly because you don’t want to make your waffles chewy and tough.
- If you like chunkier waffles, don’t mash your bananas too thoroughly. If you prefer smooth waffles, spend a bit of time really squashing the bananas into a smooth, fluffy texture before you add them to the batter.
- Add a dash of cinnamon to the mix alongside the nutmeg if you want to increase the flavor and make them more warming.
- Experiment with some plant-based milks to alter the flavor if you find it too creamy. Most alternative milks should work well!
- Consider tossing some chopped nuts into your batter if you’d like crunchy, nutty waffles, or sprinkle crushed nuts over them with your other toppings.
- Don’t over-mix your batter. If you do, your waffles will come out chewy and tough, regardless of the ingredients you use! Aim to ensure that the ingredients are just combined, and make sure you sift your flour to avoid lumpiness and the need to mix it a lot.
- Don’t open the waffle maker until it tells you to. Under-cooked banana waffles are not enjoyable!
- Spread the waffles out to cool; if you stack them, they will go soggy because of the rising steam. If you are making lots of waffles, put them in a warm oven to keep them hot.
Can I use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose?
Yes, but you may need to add a little more liquid. Make the mix according to the recipe above and check how thick it is. If necessary, add a splash more milk.
Can I use a frozen banana?
Frozen bananas work really well for this recipe because they will already be black and very ripe. Keep some bananas in your freezer just for this waffle recipe. You do need to make sure the banana is defrosted before you add it to the batter, however, or it won’t mix well. Defrost on the counter or on low in the microwave.
Can banana waffles be savory?
Banana waffles have an inherently sweet flavor that makes it challenging to create a savory waffle. If you don’t fancy a super sweet waffle, consider topping them with peanut butter or another savory option, and cut out a little of the sugar (but not all of it; the sugar helps the shell to turn crispy).
Other Dessert Recipes
Banana waffles make a wonderful breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and they are likely to be loved by adults and children alike. For many people, they bring back childhood memories, and their sweet, fruity flavor is a perfect way to start the day or celebrate the weekend!