A warming bowl of healthy soup is one good way to make your Taco Tuesday perfect. Cooking on weekdays is never easy, so how about we try something easy and quick to enjoy the ultimate flavors of a mix of vegetables, beans, and tacos in a single meal.
Crockpot Taco Soup
Taco soup is certainly not new to us; in fact, it is one of our favorite meals to order whenever we dine out. This nutritious and energy-packed soup is loved by all due to its super-rich ingredients. If you haven’t yet tried making it at home, then here is your chance to enjoy the cheesy beans soup by cooking in your Crockpot. Unlike other recipes, this slow cooker Crockpot recipe guarantees a rich blend of all the flavors and aromas.
How to Make Taco Soup
This flavorsome taco soup is not going to give you many troubles in the kitchen; the Crockpot recipe is far simpler than any stovetop recipe. All you need to do put in the ingredients, and the Crockpot will do the rest for you.
It all starts with the browning of the meat. But first make sure that the meat is completely drained and there is no excess liquid in it. Else it will take longer to get brown. Once this step is completed the rest is pretty simple; just put all the ingredients into your Crockpot. Remember that the canned beans should be added with all their liquid in the can. Now that everything has landed in the insert of your Crockpot, its about time to set in the instructions. First mix all the ingredients and then cover them with the Crockpot lid.
If you want to cook the soup for longer duration, then select the Low-temperature settings and set the cooking time up to 4-6 hours. However, if you want to enjoy the soup early, then set the cooking time up to 2 hours with High-temperature setting.
Once it is cooked well in the Crockpot, you can add any desired toppings over it, including cheese, cream, avocado, and tomatoes. Make sure to serve fresh and warm.
Best Crockpot Taco Soup RecipeCourse: DinnerCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
½ pound (lb.) ground beef or shredded chicken
1 (8 ounces) can pinto beans
1 (8 ounces) can of kidney beans
½ (11 ounces) can niblet corn
½ (11 ounces) can tomatoes with chilis
1 (28 ounces) can tomatoes, diced
½ (4 ounces) can green chilis, diced
2/3-ounce taco seasoning mix
½ ounce Ranch Salad Dressing and Seasoning Mix
Optional: Cheese and sour cream
- First, take a non-stick pan and grease it with cooking spray.
- Place this greased pan over medium-high heat and add the minced beef.
- Sauté the beef for 5-7 minutes in the pan until it turns brown.
- Transfer this beef to the insert of the Crockpot then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover the taco soup ingredients with the lid of your Crockpot.
- Select the HIGH setting for 2 hours or LOW setting for 4-6 hours.
- Once the soup is cooked, give it a gentle stir then garnish with desired toppings.
- Serve warm and fresh.
- Add any optional extras such as cheese and sour cream.
- If you have the patience, then this dish becomes more flavorsome the longer you leave it in the crockpot. You can leave it on a low temperature.
What Ingredients are in Taco Soup
Most of the ingredients used in this soup are basic kitchen staples that are easily available right at the stretch of your hand. However, you can also use other substitutes as well, as mentioned below:
- Beans: We have used pinto beans in combination with kidney beans, but if any of those beans are not available, use canned white beans, black beans, or Northern beans.
- Canned corn: It is entirely up to you if you want to add canned corn, frozen or fresh corn to the soup. If you are using fresh corn, add them to the soup only during the last ten minutes of cooking.
- For canned tomatoes and chilies Rotel is usually recommended for its good quality and taste, but you can also use other brands as well.
- You can either use canned tomatoes and canned green chilies or simply use the canned tomatoes with chilies. It will taste the same.
- If you can’t find Taco seasoning mix easily then don’t worry! You can make it at home by mixing chili powder, oregano, paprika, salt, black pepper, and cumin ground in a grinder.
- Similarly, if you can’t find the Ranch dressing and seasoning mix, then makes it at home by blending buttermilk with dried parsley, onion powder, garlic, salt, dried onion flakes, and dried dill weed in a blender until it gives a smooth mixture.
- Here in this recipe I have used ground beef, but you can replace that with minced chicken, pork, or lamb as well. Shredded chicken can also be used instead of minced meat. Try to use lean meat and skip the meat if you are cooking vegetarian taco soup.
What Should You Serve with Taco Soup?
A good Taco soup is identified through its rich toppings, the more, the better! Here are some of the mouth-watering options for serving your taco soup with:
- Usually, shredded cheddar cheese is used to serve this taco soup, but you can try Cotija and Mexican cheese as well to enjoy their unique flavors.
- You can directly add diced or sliced avocado to the soup topping, or use it mash to serve the bowl. Avocado Guacamole can also be used to serve along the soup, as it is a good source of omega 3, vitamins, fiber and protein.
- To add some crunch to your taco soup, you can always add taco or corn chips on top or use the tortilla strips to garnish the soup.
- For a creamy, rich taste, use a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt to serve the soup. And trust me! This combination gets irresistible!
- Using green onion and cilantro is another good way to add both color and flavor to the soup. Slices of pickled jalapenos also go perfectly with this soup.
Can You Freeze Taco Soup?
The good news is that you can even preserve and store this soup without ruining its good taste, given that you freeze it right after it is cooked. The method to freeze is to first allow the soup to cool at room temperature then transfer it to a Ziplock bag. Now remove all the excess air from the bag and seal the soup well. Now place this sealed soup bag in a container then put it in the freeze. In this way, you can store the soup for up to 3 months. To again reheat the soup for serving, first let it thaw in the refrigerate and leave it there overnight. Then remove the soup from the Ziplock bag and heat it in a stockpot for 25 minutes on low heat. Enjoy.
Now you know how quick and simple that was to make a delicious and warming bowl of taco soup in your Crockpot. The best part is when all the rich ingredients are cooked together for 4 long hours on low heat; it enhances the flavor of the soup upto many folds. Do try this Crockpot Taco Soup recipes and let us know about your experience!