Chipotle shrimp tacos are an amazing, luxurious dish that combines “fancy dinner” with casual, delicious eating. They are ideal for family nights, date nights, special treats, and any other occasion you can think of, and they taste absolutely incredible. If you want to wow your guests for a party, this is the way to go!
How To Make Chipotle Shrimp Tacos
To make chipotle shrimp tacos, you are going to need:
- Shrimp: obviously, one of the main ingredients of this dish is shrimp. You want to buy some really good quality shrimp for the best results, and avoid frozen if you can. You’ll really notice the difference as you’re tucking in. If you can’t get fresh shrimp, frozen will still work.
- Avocado oil: this provides a delicious flavor and a silky texture.
- Corn or flour tortillas: these are for wrapping the shrimps in, so choose your favorite brand.
- Lime juice: the sharp flavor will pair beautifully with the shrimps, so squeeze a fresh lime.
- Chipotle pepper in adobo: for spiciness and smokiness, make sure you get the right peppers.
- Kosher salt or flaky sea salt to make the flavors pop.
You’re also going to be making some chipotle ranch sauce, which will require:
- Mayonnaise: this gives a creamy, succulent taste.
- Some dried herbs and spices: dill, parsley, garlic salt, black pepper, and a bit of onion powder will all flavor the dish.
- More chipotle pepper in adobo.
The dish calls for cilantro and lime slaw too, so make sure you have:
- Cilantro: this is the major flavor component of this part of the meal.
- Mayonnaise: again, this is for creaminess.
- Shredded cabbage: this provides a delightful crispiness.
- Spices: paprika and garlic salt are ideal.
- Sugar: just a dash will lend the overall meal a little sweetness.
- Lime juice
Tips & Tricks
What’s the best way to ensure that your chipotle shrimp tacos stand out from the crowd? Here are a few great ideas you can try!
- If you have used frozen shrimps, make sure you completely thaw them and then pat them dry with some kitchen towel before you marinate them. If you try to marinate frozen or wet shrimps, the marinade will become thin and the shrimps will not soak up much flavor, because they’ll already be full of liquid.
- Only cook the shrimp for up to 3 minutes on either side. Overcooked shrimp tends to be rubbery and tough. It should turn lightly pink and opaque when it is cooked, and will be gray and translucent when raw.
- If you like creamier dishes, try adding a little sour cream or some cream cheese to your slaw mix and enjoy.
- Feel free to experiment with other herbs and spices until you hit the perfect flavor blend for you. These can be made extra hot by chopping in some jalapeno peppers, or cooled by leaving out the chipotle peppers and swapping in alternative ingredients.
Are the tacos spicy?
Yes, the chipotle peppers make the tacos fairly spicy. If you don’t like spice, swap the chipotle peppers or reduce the quantities used to suit your preferences.
How long will the tacos keep for?
These tacos are best served fresh. If you want to store them, keep the ingredients separate in the fridge, and only put them together when you are ready to serve them.
Are the tacos easy to make?
A: These tacos are pretty easy to make; you just need to cook the shrimps and mix the rest of the ingredients. They do require a little advance planning because the shrimp needs to marinate, but otherwise, they are very simple!
Can you freeze chipotle shrimp tacos?
No, these need to be made fresh. If you try to freeze the tacos, the mayonnaise will separate and the shrimp may turn mushy. They also aren’t easy to reheat, so it’s best to make them when you want them.
Chipotle shrimp tacos may seem like a super luxurious food, but they are actually quick to throw together. Shrimp is a pretty healthy food, too, so these make a great dinner for special occasions, although you may have to dial back the spice if you want to appeal to children.