Have you ever wanted to learn to make Vietnamese crepes? These exotic crepes are delicious and fairly easy to make yourself at home. Wow your dinner guests with your amazing crepes and your fabulous cooking skills.
How To Make Vietnamese Crepes
To make Vietnamese crepes, you will need to make a batter, lime fish dipping sauce, and the filling for the crepes. You will also need some lettuce and herbs for serving.
For the batter, you’ll need:
- Rice flour: this will give the crepes a delicious, light texture.
- Coconut milk: this is crucial for the creamy flavor.
- Cornstarch: you need cornstarch to make the crepes puffy and crunchy.
- Water: this helps to bind all the ingredients together.
For the lime fish dipping sauce, you require:
- Lime juice: this will enhance the flavors of the fish and add a citric edge to the dish.
- Fish sauce: to complement your shrimps, you need fish sauce.
- Garlic: you can increase or decrease the quantity of garlic used for the recipe to ensure it suits your preferences.
- Sugar – again, bump this up a little for extra sweetness, or cut down on it if you want the other flavors to shine.
To make the filling, you’ll need:
- Shrimps: these are the main flavor of this dish, so choose high quality shrimps for the best results.
- Pork shoulder: this will help make the crepes rich, meaty, and satisfying.
- Onions: these bring flavor and depth to the meal.
- Bean sprouts: for a crispy texture and fresh taste, you need a good handful of beansprouts.
- More fish sauce: this will boost the shrimps and make them stand out.
Tips & Tricks
How do you make these crepes truly incredible? Let’s find out!
- Don’t rush when cooking the crepes. You want to give them enough time to turn crispy and delicious. Don’t serve the crepe before it has had time to get a little crunchy on the outsides.
- Make sure your pan is hot before you start cooking the crepes.
- Stir the batter well before you make each crepe. The rice flour tends to settle out otherwise, so it needs to be mixed back in.
See Also: Can You Use Pancake Mix or Bisquick for Waffles?
Can I adapt the fillings?
Yes, if you don’t like one or more of the ingredients above, swap it for something else.
Can I store this in the fridge?
It’s best to store the raw ingredients in the fridge, rather than the crepes. They will lose their crispiness if they are not eaten promptly.
Do I need to use coconut milk?
Coconut milk makes this recipe creamier and more flavorful, but you can make it with just water if you prefer.
Do I need cornstarch?
You can make the crepes with just rice flour, but the cornstarch helps them to crisp up beautifully.
What makes these crepes yellow?
The turmeric is what lends the crepes their color. Many people think that they contain egg because of their sunny appearance, but this is purely because of the yellow spice.
Vietnamese crepes are delicious and they are a perfect meal to serve for a fancy dinner. Choose high quality shrimp and pork for the best flavor, and make sure you don’t rush your crepe cooking – give them enough time in the pan to cook well.
Related: What To Serve With Pancakes