One of our favorite things to do is stick a great movie on, rip open a bag of nacho chips and dig them into a bowl of tasty dip. They don’t come much more tasty than Velveeta sausage dip. It is a little bit creamy, cheesy, and has a real savory note added with the sausage. We’ve been known to wipe our finger around the bowl; it’s that good (and because there is none left) today. We will show you how to make it and give you some top tips to give you a perfect result.
What is Velveeta?
You might not have encountered Velveeta before, well hold onto your hats as once you’ve tried it, you’ll be buying more and more. Essentially, Velveeta is a block form of what you’d know as ‘American cheese’. It is identical to what you find in fast food burgers. It is really creamy and melts easily, making it ideal for dips.
How to Make Velveeta Sausage Dip
The beauty of this recipe is that it is so easy to make. It only has four ingredients total (although you can accessorize it with a few little extras if you like, see the tips and tricks section below)
This recipe is nearly entirely made in a microwave.
Yep, the hardest part is actually at the start, where you have to cook the sausage using the traditional way of a hot skillet. But after that, it gets super simple.
Once the sausage is cooked, we allow it to cool down slightly before chopping it into tiny pieces.
Meanwhile, we cut the Velveeta into tiny cubes and combine it with a can of tomatoes (and occasionally we add chili peppers, either jalapeno or regular red chili works really well). We take our sausage, mix it into the cubes of cheese and tomato and give it a blast in the microwave until it all turns gooey and oozy.
From there, it’s just a case of tipping it out into a wide bowl (the wider, the better, for dipping) before serving alongside some corn tortilla chips that have been heated in the microwave.
One thing is for certain, you’ll need to buy a lot of Velveeta because we guarantee that you’ll want to make this Velveeta sausage dip recipe again and again.
Tips and Tricks
- In our recipe, we use pork link sausages. We find that the high fat content helps to loosen our dip and makes it taste amazing. However, you can use whatever sausage you have to hand. In the past, we have used chorizo, pepperoni, and even a can of hotdog sausages once (we were desperate).
- Make sure that your sausages are cooked all the way through. While we do give this recipe a blast in the microwave, this generally isn’t long enough to cook sausage meat, so you’ll want to make sure that they definitely aren’t pink in the middle before chopping and adding to your Velveeta cubes.
- You can skip an ingredient if you can find a can of chopped tomatoes and chilis combined. If not, treat them as individual ingredients and add them separately.
- Be warned that if you use fresh chili, this dish can get a little fiery. If you don’t like spice, feel free to leave the chili out completely.
- If you do like fiery heat but don’t have any chili to hand, feel free to use a teaspoon of chili powder in your recipe instead.
- You can ‘pimp’ your Velveeta sausage dip recipe quite easily. In the past, we have added a pinch of garlic powder. Other nice additives could be black pepper, cumin, a little onion powder, or some smoky paprika.
- Feel free to add other cheeses to your recipe too. A spicy Mexicana can take this dish to the next level. If you are looking for a looser sausage dip, feel free to add a few spoons of cream cheese and a little heavy cream.
- If you find your Velveeta splits when cooking, add a pinch of baking soda, this will ensure that your dip stays creamy, cheesy, and whole.
As recipes go, Velveeta sausage dip is one of the simplest to make, and you can serve it with almost anything. This recipe is highly adaptable and will also work with many other kinds of cheese, so don’t worry if you can’t get your hands on Velveeta. It’s perfect for movie nights! What do you want to serve your sausage dip with? Why not let us know in the comments below? We love hearing from you!