Do you want to make some amazing Hellmann’s potato salad? This classic recipe is great for parties, summer gatherings, or even winter meals, but how do you make it? Let’s find out!
How To Make Hellmann’s Original Potato Salad
You are going to need:
- Potatoes: you should use high-quality, fresh potatoes. Choosing a variety can give your potato salad some interesting texture and a great flavor.
- Hellmann’s mayonnaise: this is the key to the dish, and is perfect for a light, enjoyable salad that everyone will love.
- Chopped onion: many people neglect to add onion to potato salad, but it’s the ideal way to make it crispy and combat the grease. Make sure you include this!
- Boiled eggs: for a protein hit and to make the potato salad creamier, some pieces of hard boiled eggs are a must-have in this dish.
- Celery: to add to the kick provided by the onions, a few slices of celery are perfect. They make this dish much more interesting and flavorful.
See Also: How Long Does Potato Salad Last
Tips & Tricks
Do you want to make a potato salad to remember? Here are some amazing tips and tricks that up the game!
- Use waxy potatoes. This really does make a difference, because if you use floury potatoes, you run the risk of your potato salad being more like “mash” than actual salad. You can mix waxy varieties and go for various sizes, but make sure you are depending on the right sort of potato before you start.
- Try to cook the potatoes so that they are just tender. Over-cooked or under-cooked potatoes will ruin the salad by being mushy or hard.
- Don’t skip on chilling the potato salad. This isn’t just about the temperature; it’s about ensuring that the flavors have time to mix. Your potatoes won’t absorb the sauce in an instant, and really good potato salad is left for a while before eating.
- Make sure your potatoes are reasonably cool before tossing them into the salad. This will prevent the mayonnaise from getting overheated. If you want to flavor the potatoes while they are still hot, try dressing them with a bit of vinegar, and then leaving them to cool before stirring them into the potato salad.
- If your potatoes are on the well-done side of cooked, rinse them with cold water when you have drained them. This will stop them from cooking further.
Do I have to chop the potatoes?
It’s best to leave potatoes whole while cooking if you can get small enough waxy potatoes, but many people can only get large ones. If you have small waxy ones available, leave them whole and they should retain more flavor.
Do I have to salt the potato water?
No, you don’t have to, but it will bring out the flavor in the potatoes. However, if you are going low sodium or you don’t like salty food, skip the salting process.
Can I add other ingredients?
Yes, many other ingredients will go well in potato salad. Most classic recipes don’t include them, but it’s fine to chop in things like jalapenos, some crispy bacon, crumbled tortilla chips, or even bits of bell pepper.
Can you keep potato salad?
If you transfer potato salad to an airtight container, you should be able to keep it for around 3 or four days in the fridge.
Can you freeze potato salad?
No, potatoes do not freeze well. This ruins their texture, and frozen potato salad will be mushy and unpleasant.
Hellmann’s potato salad is easy to make and it’s an ideal food for parties and buffets. You can throw this together in very little time and then just put it in the fridge to chill until you are ready to serve it.