Love or hate it Dr Pepper for me is a guilty pleasure. Combine it with ice cream and you have yourself one of the tastiest drinks around. The Dr Pepper float is one of those evening desserts that you rarely think about making but when on front of you brings sheer happiness. In fact, I stumbled upon this recipe by pure chance.
In fact, I haven’t had Dr pepper in a while but while at my sister’s house she ran out of cola for mixing with ice-cream and used an old can of dr pepper that was lying around in the house. I was mesmerized by the taste and knew instantly I would be making this for myself when I got home. It was that good that I knew it was worth sharing with my readers.
Combining ice cream with soda isn’t a new phenomenon by any means but it has stood the test of time in my household for a quick 5 minute dessert that will have both you and your kids wanting more. Requires very few ingredients and won’t last the length of time it takes to make, it’s that good.
How To Make Dr Pepper Floats
Being able to make this recipe in under 5 minutes is what makes this so appealing to me. In addition to that, all you really need are a 4 simple ingredients.
The obvious initial ingredient is your soda can of dr pepper, after all it is a Dr pepper float. Add a number of scoops of ice-cream, I used vanilla in my recipe. Any brand will do. Then mix it with some coconut syrup and lime juice for that refreshing taste. The Dr Pepper ice cream combination really delivers.
If you’re feeling adventurous you can use different Dr Pepper flavors to test out the taste. Also it might be worth experimenting with different ice-cream flavors or combining multiple different flavors. For this I stuck with plain old reliable vanilla, which does the job perfectly.
Tips & Tricks
Creating the perfect Dr. Pepper Float is not just about following the recipe; it’s about mastering the little details that elevate your dessert experience. Here are some tips and tricks to help you make the most out of this delightful treat:
- Choosing the Right Ice Cream: While vanilla is a classic choice, don’t be afraid to experiment with other flavors. Ice cream like caramel, chocolate, or even cherry can add an interesting twist to your float.
- The Art of Pouring: Pour the Dr. Pepper slowly over the ice cream to prevent excessive foaming. Tilt the glass slightly and pour gently along the side for the best results.
- Temperature Matters: Make sure your Dr. Pepper is well-chilled before using. A cold soda helps maintain the ice cream’s consistency for longer, providing the perfect blend of soda and cream.
- Glassware Selection: Use a tall, clear glass to serve your float. Not only does it look appealing, but it also gives you more room for the foam to rise without spilling.
- Customize Your Sweetness: If you prefer a sweeter float, consider adding a splash of flavored syrup like cherry or vanilla. This can complement both the soda and the ice cream.
- Serving Size: For individual servings, a standard 12 oz glass works well. If you’re serving a group, consider making a large batch in a punch bowl where guests can serve themselves.
- Garnish Galore: Don’t shy away from garnishes. A dollop of whipped cream, a maraschino cherry, or a sprinkle of chocolate shavings can add both flavor and visual appeal.
- Experiment with Soda Varieties: While Dr. Pepper is the star, experimenting with different soda flavors can lead to exciting new combinations. Dr. Pepper Cherry or a classic root beer can offer a delightful variation.
- Diet-Friendly Options: For a lighter version, opt for diet Dr. Pepper and low-fat or dairy-free ice cream. You’ll still enjoy the classic float experience but with fewer calories.
- Enjoy Immediately: Dr. Pepper Floats are best enjoyed right after making them. This ensures you get the perfect mix of creamy ice cream and fizzy soda in every sip.
By keeping these tips in mind, you can turn a simple Dr. Pepper Float into a customized, gourmet treat that’s sure to impress your taste buds and your guests!
The classic Dr. Pepper Float is a timeless treat, but there’s always room for creativity and personalization. Here are some delightful variations to spice up this classic dessert:
- Different Soda Flavors: Venture beyond traditional Dr. Pepper by trying its various flavors, like Dr. Pepper Cherry or Dr. Pepper Cream Soda. Each brings a unique twist to the float.
- Ice Cream Alternatives: Swap out vanilla ice cream for other flavors. Chocolate, strawberry, or even coffee-flavored ice cream can create exciting new taste profiles.
- Adult Version: For an adult twist, add a shot of your favorite liquor, such as bourbon or rum. This can transform your float into a sophisticated dessert cocktail.
- Dairy-Free Options: Cater to all dietary needs by using dairy-free ice cream and sodas. Almond, soy, or coconut-based ice creams are great alternatives.
- Seasonal Specials: Incorporate seasonal flavors like pumpkin spice ice cream in the fall or peppermint around the holidays for a festive touch.
- Toppings Galore: Experiment with toppings. Crushed nuts, chocolate chips, or even candy pieces can add texture and flavor.
- Syrup Infusions: Drizzle chocolate, caramel, or fruit syrups over the ice cream before adding the soda for an extra layer of sweetness and flavor.
- Herbal Notes: Add a sprig of mint or basil for a refreshing herbal note, especially appealing in the summer months.
- Spice It Up: A dash of cinnamon or nutmeg can add a warm, spicy undertone, perfect for cooler weather.
- Float Bars: Set up a float bar at your next party with different types of sodas, ice creams, and toppings, allowing guests to create their own custom floats.
These variations not only add a fun twist to the traditional Dr. Pepper Float but also ensure there’s a version for every palate and occasion. Get creative and enjoy the endless possibilities!
Nothing beats this recipe when you’ve had a long day! One of life’s most simple desserts, yet so impactful. When I first shared this with my kids, they were hyper and that was before they even tasted it. For most, Dr Pepper isn’t the obvious choice to add ice cream to but that’s really what makes this so special. If you think this tastes well, potentially test it out with root beer and let me know your thoughts. Dr pepper and vanilla ice cream really make this a contender for the best soda float around.
We did mention this recipe is really easy and there’s not a whole lot more we can say about it other than enjoy! Enjoy and let us know in the comments below if you tried it yourself. Just thinking about this Dr Pepper float soda makes me want to re-make this.