When we first heard that you could bake bread with only three ingredients, we were surprised. No wonder it has been trending on Tiktok! These fluffy (and sometimes colorful) loaves have to be seen to be believed. They taste pretty good too! The secret? It’s all in the wrist, literally. What do we mean? Well, you are going to have to read on to find out. Today we will show you how to make Cloud Bread. Tiktok recipes are nearly always simple, and this is proof. Check it out!
What is Tiktok Cloud Bread?
Amazing and awesome?
Alright, look, we aren’t the biggest fans of social media, but in this instance, we will make an exception.
Cloud bread is a puffy roll made with only three (and occasionally four) ingredients. It uses egg whites, corn starch, and a little sugar. These little rolls are sweet, light, and pretty delicious. Consider it as a sort of cross between a muffin and a meringue, and you are just about there. It’s a bit bready on the outside and really chewy on the inside.
How to Make Cloud Bread (Tiktok Recipe)
Ok, for this recipe, you are going to definitely need one of two things.
A stand mixer with a beating attachment.
Arms like Arnold Schwarzenegger and a heavy-duty whisk.
Why? Because the very first thing you are going to do is whip some egg whites until they foam up. You are then going to add sugar and have a little rest before beating them into soft peaks.
That’s it. I’m done. There is no more beating, right?
Oh dear, our friend, you’ve underestimated the time this takes. Now, get back to your whisk.
Once you have soft peaks, it is time to incorporate the third and final ingredient. Corn starch.
Cornstarch is pretty much what changes this from a meringue into the Tiktok cloud bread that we know and love (hopefully). It acts as a binding agent. Essentially, it thickens the walls of the bubbles you have created in the egg whites. They won’t collapse when baked, giving you nice fluffy clouds.
How can I tell when it is ready?
Easy! Your egg white mixture will turn really stiff and shiny.
And what’s next?
From there, you’ll scoop out the meringue onto a baking sheet and gently, using a damp spoon or spatula, shape it into an impressive ‘cloud’. The final step is to bake it for 20-30 minutes in a hot oven. We’ve found that 300°F seems to be the sweet spot.
All that is left to do now is to tear into that cloud and enjoy! This is a trend we could get used to.
Tips and Tricks
- Seriously. Get a stand mixer. You don’t strictly need one to make this recipe, but if you don’t, our cloud bread Tiktok recipe will be your least favorite. Man, those eggs take some beating, and the result is never nearly as good.
- Before, we said there are occasionally four ingredients. Well, here it is. A few drops of food coloring. When the cloud bread bakes, it turns brown on the outside, so you can’t tell the color within. One great idea we had was to use them for baby reveals. Pink for a girl, blue for a boy.
- You’ll see some people claim that flour can work in place of corn starch. Spoiler alert. It doesn’t. Flour isn’t as fine as corn starch and, as a result, will end up making your clouds look more like fog than anything light and fluffy.
- While you can use normal white sugar, if you want the best result, we recommend using fine caster sugar (also called baking sugar). This dissolves easier and makes your egg white mix much smoother.
- You can add food dye at any stage during this recipe. For a really interesting effect, add it right at the end and gently fold it. You’ll get a really nice colored marbling in your cloud bread.
- You can add little extras to this dish to make it taste slightly different. In the past, we’ve tried mint essence, vanilla concentrate, and almond extract. All of them were particularly delicious.
- If you are on a sugar-free kick, there are alternatives you can try. Granulated stevia is pretty good. We even made honey clouds once. They were exceptional.
- Please don’t try and treat this like traditional dough. There is no resting, kneading, or proofing. You won’t be able to make this in advance either. Why? Because the little air bubbles in the meringue mix eventually burst. No good unless you want to make a sweet omelet!
See Also: Dalgona Coffee
The Cloud Bread Tiktok recipe might be one of the best things ever to come out of social media! They are light, fluffy, and make a really nice sweet treat to add to a lunch box.
If you don’t want to eat a whole one, just divide the mixture into four tiny cloudlets before baking! What color are you going to make yours? Let us know in the comments below.