What are you thinking of having for dessert tonight? Why not have a Bisquick coffee cake. Try it. It will surely be a great choice. Usually, though, most people like to have it for breakfast, with coffee. In fact, that is how the cake gets its name – coffee and cake, together. Interestingly, there is no coffee in its list of ingredients.
You can buy the cake at the bakery, but it would be so much more fun if you made it at home. This coffee cake is yummy, tender, and can be made very easily and quickly at home, even by new home chefs with limited experience. Add some crunchy cinnamon on top of your cake and it will be even better. Try it – this coffee cake is a true classic.
What is Bisquick Mix?
It is a pre-mixed baking mix from the Minnesota based General Mills. It is made by flour, salt, baking powder, and shortening and sold by the company’s Betty Crocker brand. Traditionally, Bisquick® was used only for baking biscuits, but now, it is a major ingredient for muffins, waffles, pancakes, and yes, coffee cakes too. You will be surprised at how many ways this all-purpose baking mix can be used.
There is an interesting story behind its development. A sales executive of General Mills met a dining car chef while on a business trip. He was thrilled with the fresh biscuits served and was introduced to the pre-mixed batter used for making them. He created Bisquick® on returning. Bisquick® was first introduced in 1931.
How To Make Bisquick Coffee Cake at Home
You can easily make this crunchy and tender coffee cake at home using Bisquick®. It is super easy to make. All you will need are a few simple ingredients. You can have this cake as a dessert. It can also be the perfect breakfast with some coffee.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 247, Carbohydrates 37g, Cholesterol 30mg, Total Fat 15g, Protein 4g, Sugar 14g, Fiber 1g, Sodium 495mg, Potassium 62mg
You can also top the cake with some whipped cream and fresh fruit. Sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon if you like. Many like to have their coffee cake warm, but you can also microwave it too. Microwave on high for 10-15 seconds and you will have the fresh-from-the-oven taste.
It Doesn’t Have Coffee
You must have noticed that there is no coffee in the list of ingredients. It is still called a coffee cake because most people like to have it with their morning cup of coffee. The pairing is perfect. Add coffee crumble topping to make your cake crunchier if you like. You can also add chopped pecans.
However, not just coffee, you can also have the cake with a hot cup of cocoa. It will be equally delightful. The Bisquick® coffee cake will also be a very good dessert.
This coffee cake is yummy if you eat it on its own. The taste will be even better if you pair with fruits. Fresh blueberries will go very well with this. Just add a cup of blueberries to your batter and you will have a stunning blueberry coffee cake.
Other than almonds, you can also add toasted coconut or chocolate chips in the batter. Add 2 tablespoons of vanilla to your batter for more flavor.
There are many ways you can customize this cake to your liking. You can even double the topping if you like. It will be double the fun.
Tips & Tricks
- Butter is a key ingredient in this recipe. It will make your topping very rich and crumbly. Use only high-quality butter for a bold flavor and good taste.
- Make sure to measure accurately for successful baking. When measuring any dry ingredient or Bisquick®, it is always best that you spoon out to a measuring cup instead of just dipping and packing. You may have too much Bisquick® if you do this, which will make your coffee cake too dry.
- This is a dense cake, so make sure that it’s not too dry. Avoid overbaking. Always check 5 minutes before your cooking time ends.
- Spread the batter evenly in your pan with an offset spatula. A rubber spatula might make it too messy.
- This is a wonderfully sweet cake. However, you can make it sweeter by topping it with frosting. Combine Nutella and whipped cream for this.
- On the other hand, to balance the sweetness, you can sprinkle a pinch of salt over your batter just before baking.
This cake is such a wonderful recipe that Bisquick had it on the back of their box for a long time. But it has been replaced now. You can buy the Bisquick coffee cake at the local bakery or prepare it at home. The recipe needs only a few ingredients, all of which are easily available. You can also freezer your cake for up to 3 months and have it later. Make sure that you store it in a freezer-safe container and label the baking date.