There is truly nothing better than a refreshing drink on a hot summer’s day and recently I discover sonic cherry limeade which is perfect for quenching yout thirst.
I am sure you’ve probably read a hundred articles that claim to have this ultimate drink and don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying they don’t, I’m just saying that this one is better.
If you have ever had one of Sonics’ Limeades, you know that it is the ultimate refresher.
Unfortunately, if you don’t live near a Sonic or you have never ordered one of these amazing drinks, then prepare to have your mind blown.
If you are unfamiliar with limeades, it is a lime-flavored drink that has been sweetened with sugar. Sonic (and most other restaurants and manufacturers) makes theirs using Sprite or something similar.
The reason this drink is such a big hit around the world is because of that slight sour taste coming through all the sweetness. As we all know by now, combining different flavor ques (sour and sweet) has and always will be a great flavor pairing.
The reason Sonics’ limeades are way above any other franchises, is because of their massive range of flavor options. They have Lime, Lemon, Blue Raspberry, Strawberry and of course, the favorite, Cherry!
You can also easily customize your limeade flavor because they have a base recipe and simply add flavor to it.
This recipe is virtually the same as theirs and when compared side-by-side, some might even say it’s better!
You can use the base of this recipe and easily customize it, just like you would in-store! Simply substitute the cherry and syrup with any flavor of your choice, or combination thereof.
Skip the trip and make your very own Sonic limeade right in the comfort of your own home!
How To Make Sonic Cherry Limeade
Add the cherries and half a lime wedge at the bottom of the glass.
Fill it with ice and then the soda. Lastly, top with Maraschino syrup and the other half of the lime wedge.
Stir the drink so the syrup incorporates and serve on a hot day with some snacks.
Tips & Tricks
- If you are not a fan of Sprite, alternatively you can use 7UP or Mountain Dew – as long as the drink is carbonated and has a similar flavor profile that won’t overpower any of the other ingredients.
- Soda water is another great option if you want to cut back on the sweetness of the drink. It will still be refreshing and pair well with the other flavors.
- For a healthier drink, you can use the “lite” or “sugar-free” versions of each of these drinks. The characteristics are very similar to the original version and you will only notice a change in taste when comparing the drinks side-by-side.
- With Spite, for example, you can use a flavored Sprite like the Sprite Zero Lemon & Mint or Sprite Cherry.
- When choosing the type of Sonic Limeade you want to make (for example a Lemon flavored one), you can choose a flavored soft drink to match it (like the Sprite Lemon). This is also a way to add more flavor to the drink beside the actual syrup.
- We highly recommend getting ice from your local Sonic or get a similar-looking ice. The best way to describe their ice is tiny cubes of ice the size of your pinkie nail.
- You can either buy a similar looking ice or make your own by crushing some ice (don’t crush it to be fine shards, only chunks).
- As I have previously mentioned, the flavor can easily be changed from Cherry to anything you’d like.
To start, the two elements you have to substitute are the cherries and the Maraschino syrup.
To add other flavors you have some different options.
- You can substitute the syrup with another syrup. There are tons of flavored syrups available at your local liquor store or even grocery store. This can be the main flavor and you can add garnishes to carry the theme.
For example, use blueberry syrup and fresh blueberries as a garnish.
- You can also use fresh produce, such as citrus, to add flavor. You can use the zest (peel) of an orange and the juice from the flesh to create orange-flavored limeade.
- To add sweetness (if you are not using a sweet soft drink or syrup flavorant) you can add corn syrup or glucose syrup (basically a thick sugar syrup). As long as it is clear in color, it will work perfectly.
Making it alcoholic
- For those of us who love something a little bit stronger, add a shot or two of vodka, rum or any other clear spirit. You can even use a flavored gin to make it alcoholic and add flavor.
- There are tons of different garnishes you can add to elevate your drink. For example, cover the edge of the glass with some colored sugar (as if you are making margarita).
There are also a bunch of fresh ingredients you can use like;
- Fresh mint (or shredded mint)
- Lime wedge
- Lemon slices (rounds)
- Maraschino cherries
- Cucumber ribbons
- Citrus rind
Hopefully, you don’t need any more convincing; this is the best and only refreshing drink you need to make this summer.
It works perfectly for any event and the kids will go crazy for it! It is very quick and easy to make and versatile like no other drink!