We all remember going to your local Chick-fil-A and ordering one of their delicious meals. You probably ordered their famous Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich or one of their combo meals. Whichever it was, you almost always got a coleslaw with it in some shape or form. Most people toss coleslaw when getting fast-food, but this coleslaw was never one of those. Th Chick-fil-a coleslaw was different.
It had the perfect balance of vinegar and sugar; a symphony of tangy and sweet flavors. I have never tasted another coleslaw that even comes close to theirs. But alas, on 18 January 2016 we said goodbye to this precious gift Chick-fil-A has given us since 1967.
Anticipating massive backlash from the public, Chick-fil-A released their long-sought-after coleslaw recipe to soften the blow.
It is a surprisingly easy recipe. It only has a few ingredients that you most likely already have and is incredibly easy to make. I know coleslaw isn’t a complicated dish, but I’ve had less complicated meals that take ages – everyone has a recipe like that. An incredibly tasty side dish that takes only 5 minutes to make is hard to find.
This Chick-fil-A Coleslaw pairs well with everything, and I mean everything. You can of course serve it with crispy fried chicken, but it also accompanies many other meats really well. My favorite is a pulled beef barbeque sandwich topped with this coleslaw or a juicy honey and rosemary roasted gammon.
However you like to serve it, even if you like to eat it as is, no one can argue that this isn’t the best, most tasty coleslaw ever.
How to make Chick-fil-A Coleslaw
This Chick-fil-A coleslaw recipe is quick to make and doesn’t require a lot of work. You can buy pre-cut vegetables to save yourself even more time.
In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, dry mustard and salt together. Whisk continuously until the sugar has dissolved.
Add the mayonnaise and it mix again. Lastly add the cabbage and carrots and fold them through the mayonnaise. Refrigerate the coleslaw for at least 2 hours or overnight and serve as a side dish or as part of a sandwich.
8 servings per container
Serving Size1 servings
- Amount Per ServingCalories215
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 3g 15%
- Cholesterol 12mg 4%
- Sodium 250mg 11%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 7g
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Tips & Tricks
- Traditionally, Chick-fil-A served their coleslaw with only green cabbage. To add your own twist, use shredded red cabbage as well but marinate the two separately as the red cabbage will bleed into the green. When you are ready to serve or use it, combine the two marinated coleslaws and you have a beautiful colorful side dish.
- If you prefer chunkier coleslaw like I do, you don’t have to chop your shredded cabbage.
- You can buy pre-shredded and pre-cut vegetables from the grocery store to save yourself more time.
- If you don’t have the knife skills of Gordon Ramsey, instead of dicing the carrots, peel them and grate them on the finest side of your grater.
- This recipe can easily be made into vegan coleslaw by substituting the mayonnaise with vegan mayonnaise. I prefer to make my own mayonnaise at home (be it traditional or vegan) as it is much healthier than store-bought mayonnaise that has tons of preservatives, flavorings and colorants.
- To make homemade mayonnaise is trial and error. Each recipe is different and it is really up to your palate choosing one you like. But when you find that one, you will never buy mayonnaise again. For a quick and easy recipe, place 1 egg, ½ teaspoon mustard powder and ½ teaspoon salt in a blender or food processor. While the blender is running on a low speed, slowly add 1 ¼ cup oil into the mixture until it is emulsified and thick. Once it has this consistency, add 2 tablespoons lemon juice and quickly blend for 10-15 seconds. Simple, quick, easy and delicious.
- Feeling extra creative? Other shredded or chopped vegetables you can add are red onions or beetroots. You can add walnuts or a seed-mix just before serving to add extra flavor and texture.
Yes, it is a travesty that we can no longer buy coleslaw from Chick-fil-A, but their decision to release their recipe makes me forgive them – just a little. You can now easily make this coleslaw at home with ingredients you already have.
It is the best accompaniment for any roast and the kids will love it on sandwiches as well. Experiment with different vegetables, seasonings and home-made mayonnaise. I highly recommend trying vegan mayonnaise even if you are not vegan.
A tasty coleslaw is a must-have at any gathering and yours will be the new delicious topic of conversation.