I constantly find myself in a position where I am expecting last-minute guests and have absolutely nothing in the house to serve as a snack. As I am desperately raiding my pantry a couple of weeks ago, I come across a box of Bisquick biscuits baking mix and I was immediately flooded with relief.
If you are unsure of what Bisquick is, it is a range of different pre-made baking mixes consisting of all the dry ingredients used for a specific bake. Usually it has flour, shortening, salt and baking powder as a base.
Now I had some sort of starting point. I was still short on time, so I had to make something that was easy. I ended up making cheddar garlic biscuits using the Bisquick mix.
At first I was hesitant adding a bunch of ingredients that I had in my cupboard, but boy oh boy, these biscuits surprised me!
Apart from obviously being easy to make, they turned out perfect in every way! The texture was flawlessly crumbly. The crust was beautifully golden brown. The smell of garlic and cheese was wafting throughout the house. They were the most exemplary savory biscuits I have ever made.
Because you are using this versatile baking pre-mix, it is so easy to adapt the recipe to your liking. You can add almost any ingredient you like and also easily substitute or adapt the ones you don’t. For example, add some diced meat or vegetables or reduce the amount of garlic.
To make healthier biscuits are also effortless as you can just substitute the baking mix with the Bisquick gluten-free or heart-smart pre-mix.
Play around with different ingredient combinations to find the perfect recipe that works for you. They will all be tremendously easy and extraordinarily delicious.
How To Make Bisquick Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine the Bisquick mix, milk, garlic powder and grated cheese in a bowl and mix until the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
Using an ice cream scoop, place nine scoops on the baking sheet. Bake them for about 10-12 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown in color.
While the biscuits are baking, melt the butter and add the rest of the garlic powder. This makes a fragrant garlic butter that you brush onto the biscuits once they come out of the oven.
Serve as a delicious appetizer with some creamy cheese and sweet preserves.
Tips & Tricks
- If these biscuits are too boring for you, you can add a ton of other ingredients to change the flavor. Add your chosen ingredient/s to your batter before baking. Options include some cooked crispy bacon pieces, a variety of dried herbs or some sundried tomatoes or chopped olives. There are an infinite number of flavor possibilities and all you have to do is experiment.
- If you want to make these biscuits extra cheesy, bake them for 8 minutes, remove from the oven, add additional grated cheese on top and grill in the oven until crispy.
- Another clever way to make this biscuit is to use different cheeses – as long as they have the same consistency as cheddar. For instance, you can use Gouda, Parmesan or Mozzarella. If you are a cheese lover you can use molded cheese such as Gorgonzola. These biscuits will perfectly accompany any appetizer or cheese platter.
- To make a healthier biscuit, use the Bisquick gluten-free variety baking mix or their heart-smart baking mix.
- If you thought this biscuit is only a breakfast or lunch snack, you were wrong. You can upscale these biscuits by cutting them in half, like you would a scone, and serving them with salmon ribbons, cured meats, cheeses and preserves. You can make the most beautiful appetizers that will leave your guests swooning.
As you can see, having a box of Bisquick baking mix in the house is always a good idea. You can easily create the most delectable bakes like these cheddar garlic biscuits.
They are crispy on the outside and have the perfect crumbly texture on the inside. They are ridiculously easy to adapt into just as delicious healthier versions or to accommodate for dietary needs.
Do yourself a favor and make these biscuits for your guests; you won’t be disappointed.